33

Strength is not defined by who can hit the hardest in a fight, but by who is standing at the end.

Walking into the showroom, Savannah felt like she was walking in slow motion.

All eyes fell to her as she let the door slam shut behind her.

She paused for a moment, taking in the scene in front of her. Pierce was giving her a nod of approval, clearly glad that she had decided to show up late rather than never.

The other champions all stood with their leaders in different parts of the very large room. The leaders eyed each other while whispering things Savannah didn't bother to listen in on.

Her gaze fell onto Demitri Antonov who was standing alone in the corner, almost glaring at her. She walked quickly and confidently toward him, stopping right by his side as he glanced down at her before looking up again.

"Я почти боялся, что ты не явишься, принцесса (I was almost scared you wouldn't show up Princes)" he admitted in a low quiet voice.

Savannah rolled her eyes, "your faith in me is refreshing" she sassed quietly as Pierce walked towards the center of the room.

"Don't lose this for me" he warned her, sounding almost angry that she could joke at a time like this.

"For you?! I'm not doing this for you" she informed him, letting her voice raise a little which caused Pierce to raise his eyebrows in their direction. Savannah lowered her voice and turned her head to send a glare at him only to find that he was already giving her an angry look.

"не облажайся Savannah (don't mess this up Savannah)" he said quietly. 

Savannah went to scoff and retort with something but at that very moment, Pierce decided to talk to them.

"Thank you all for coming on this very exciting day" he started.

Savannah rolled her eyes and looked away. She had never been a fan of Pierce's big speeches but now seriously didn't seem to be the time to listen to whatever rant he was performing.

"-and the responsibility of-"

Savannah cut out his voice from her head and stopped paying attention to a single thing he was saying.

She chose to look around the room instead, focusing on the way each champion was watching Pierce with admiration and loyalty. Savannah knew she had been that way too before she met the Avengers.

She used to follow him blindly because she knew nothing else, but Savannah was not that person anymore. She didn't want to be that person anymore. After this fight, when she became leader, she'd listen to no one. She'd be the one telling everyone else what to do.

"-and may the best champion win"

Savannah's head snapped back in his direction as Pierce walked behind the safety of the glass, followed by the leaders but not before Demitri sent her one final warning look. Savannah ignored him and looked around at all the champions who remained in the room. They were all stretching out their arms and necks, trying to act intimidating but to Savannah, it was just funny. 

All she could remember was how they would practice their "scary faces" in the bathroom mirror in the champions living quarters.

It was funny how they were now using those faces on each other.