40

How unfair it's just our luck.

Savannah ended up falling asleep at some point.

The TV was still playing some random game show as she woke up very early in the morning with Jasper running around the room, begging her to let him go outside.

Savannah rubbed her eyes and threw the blanket off her legs.

She put her hair in a ponytail and threw on some random slippers that were in her closet.

Swallowing a few painkillers, she grabbed Jasper's leash and led him out of her room.

She walked him silently all the way until they were outside the tower.

The cold air felt like ice against her skin in the early hours of the morning.

The sun was just barely starting to rise.

There was a group of SHIELD agents beginning their morning training in the distance. Not in the mood to be asked if she was supposed to be here, Savannah walked in the opposite direction, toward the city.

There were a few people getting in their morning jog, Savannah avoided eye contact and kept walking wherever Jasper seemed to want to go.

Obviously, he led her toward the scent of food which was coming from the opening restaurants and cafes.

Savannah stopped at one and ordered herself an iced coffee even though it was freezing outside and all she was wearing was a tee-shirt and shorts.

She continued with Jasper further into the city, stopping occasionally to look through a shop or even a dog store.

She bought Jasper a new toy he had been interested in and he carried it happily in his mouth as they continued their walk.

By now the sun was fully up but Savannah guessed it was no later than seven or eight in the morning.

She decided to have an actual breakfast and stopped at a random cafe that had outdoor seating so that Jasper could stay with her.

The truth was, Savannah had only ever been to a few restaurants in her life, and they were all for undercover missions.

Never in her life had she actually had to pick what she wanted to eat off a menu, usually her victim was dead by the time the drinks came.

Jasper curled himself in a little ball under her chair while she looked through the menu.

There weren't many people at the cafe this early in the morning.

Just a few people on business calls or a few teenagers trying to get some food before school started.

A few minutes later, a waitress who looked like she'd rather be anywhere else came up to her table and asked what she'd like to order.

Savannah ordered another iced coffee along with pancakes, because why the hell not.

She played with her thumbs and listened in on the drama the two girls were talking about at the next table because honestly, they were talking very loud and Savannah had nothing better to do.

She hadn't brought her phone with her meaning she hadn't received the call from Natasha who wanted to tell her that they were on the way back since the mission had taken less time than planned.