Chapter 6

The next morning, we all woke up before the crack of dawn, cleaned up, packed up, and started on our way, even though Bilbo wasn't up yet.  Approaching Skyrena, I caught her seeming upset.

"Is everything okay?"  She glanced up at me and nodded.

"Bilbo won't be coming..."  I nodded and hide my smile.  Of course he would be coming...  It only took him a little to miss the company.

Nodding, I mounted the pony Thorin assigned me and waited patiently for Filli and Killi, who were trying to show off how they mounted in fancy ways.  I couldn't help but smile when Killi fell right off the pony when he jumped up.  Shaking my head, I watched as he blushed and remounted, without the tricks.

"Meant to do that..."  Filli rolled his eyes but didn't say anything as I laughed quietly.

"Are you alright?"  Killi shrugged and sat high in his saddle.

"Never better."  Taking a deep breath, he shot me a "noble" look.  "Shall we, my lady?"  I rolled my eyes and tried not to laugh.

"Might as well since the rest of the company is already ahead of us..."  He blushed madly as we trotted off, trying to catch up with the others.  Before long, we finally caught up and were on our way.  Meanwhile, Filli watched me as I took in my surroundings.

"Are you familiar with these woods?"  I shook my head, my dark hair blowing into my face.

"No...  I've only travelled past here once in all my years."  He nodded and continued on, clearly trying to think of a way to continue our conversation.

"Have you ever come across a shapeshifter, besides Skyrena?"  I shook my head.  "Have you heard of any other shapeshifters in Middle Earth?"  I shook my head again, feeling my heart sink.

"No...  With the exception of Skyrena and myself, our kind are gone.  We are the last..."  I felt tears well up in my eyes as I shook my head.  "And we don't belong."  He reached over and took hold of my arm, staring right at me.

"You do now...  Thorin accepted both of you into our company.  You belong with us now..."  I swallowed hard as I looked between the both of them.  Killi was deathly silent, looking as though he was still embarrassed about falling off his pony.  Filli was watching me carefully.  I forced a smile and shook my head.

"No...  After this, I'm thinking I might leave."  He frowned as he looked at me.

"Why?"  I shrugged.

"I don't belong.  Skyrena might, since Thorin accepted her a long time ago, but...  I'm a newcomer.  I don't think I'd be welcome after this journey."  I tugged my arm free and looked ahead.  "I'm never welcome anywhere any more..."  Killi finally spoke.

"Now you do..."  I glanced over at him as Filli agreed.

"Once you're in the comapny of Thorin Oakenshield, you're always a part of the comapny of Thorin Oakenshield."  I sighed and shook my head.

"But, I can't..."  I picked up my pony's pace a little, pulling ahead of them just enough to be away from any direct conversation.

They'd never understand...  I'm not supposed to be here...  Right now, an Orc would be better suited in this place than I would.  However, I could already feel the longing setting in.  What if, when I returned, I still had no place to go?  I swallowed hard and kept my head down as Balin came up beside me.

"Lass...  Are you alright?"  I nodded as I forced myself to look ahead.

"Yes."  He frowned as he shook his head.

"You don't look okay...  Did the lads upset you?"  I felt something inside me crack a little as I shook my head.

"No...  They were just trying to cheer me up.  I know they mean well."  Balin nodded as he glanced back at Filli and Killi, who were talking to themselves.

"They always mean well."

*Filli's Pov-

"Was it something I said?"  Killi forced a smile and shook his head.

"I don't think so, brother.  She seems... distracted."  I nodded in agreement as Balin rode up beside her and began talking to her.  "I'm sure Balin will help..."  I shrugged as I considered all she said.

"Do you really think...?"  I sighed and shook my head.  "Never mind."  Killi shot me a mischievous smile.

"You fancy her, don't you, brother?"  I swallowed hard as he shrugged.  "Not that I blame you...  She's fair enough.  The only question is..."  His smile widened.  "What's got her so distant?"  I shrugged.

"Remember how Skyrena doesn't like being called shapeshifter and all?  I think maybe it's because she's the last of her kind, and she sees having another shapeshifter around as a burden, not a blessing, because she feels as though it's her responsibility to look after the last of her kind.  From what I can tell, they both have a sense of kinship, just like the rest of us."  I nodded.

"True..."  I shrugged.  "Something doesn't seem right, though."  Killi simply shrugged.

"It'll be okay, Filli.  Maybe uncle Thorin will be able to convince her to stay."  I smiled a little.

"I hope you're right..."  With that, we heard shouting.

*Era's Pov-

"Wait!"  I turned and saw Bilbo coming up towards us.  He held up the contract Balin had given him last night.  "I sighed it!"  Balin took the contract and examined it, shooting Bilbo the same look he'd shoot me when I was too wound up come bedtime when I was younger.

"Well...  Everything seems to be in order."  Giving the contract back to Bilbo, he smiled.  "Welcome to the company of Thorin Oakenshield."  Thorin waited until the cheering came to a stop.

"Give him a pony..."  Not long afterwards, we were back on our way, heading east.