Chapter 26

"Who are you refering to?"  He raised an eyebrow at me.

"Most likely Skyrena, unless the other holds that favor."  I swallowed hard, trying not to sound annoyed.  I can't give Era away.  I would never forgive myself for giving away our secret to this elf...

"What's it to an elf who would have killed her if he hadn't figured out who she really is?"  I knew my answer would have killed him.  Yes, I do love Skyrena, but I loved Era the same, since she was my own, and I'd admit it to anyone except an elf who'd kill her.  His gaze remained stony, but his tone gave him away.

"Why are all of you dwarves so selfish?  My father will order for Skyrena to be killed, and you insist that the mountain is more important than her life?!?"  He spat at the ground at my feet.  "I don't see how either of them have managed to stick around this long.  They deserve much better than a bunch of stupid, cruel dwarves for company..."  I clutched the bars that separated me from him.

"Says the elf who chose to bring them before your king...  You knew Skyrena would be killed and Era might have been as well, but you still did it.  That was no better than killing them on the spot!"  He glared at me as he leaned closer so we were face to face.

"You think I didn't know that?  If I hadn't been there, they may have been killed on sight.  I managed to give them a chance to live."  He smirked.  "Didn't Skyrena tell you she was banished?"  I nodded.  "So, you still made her come...  And you think I'm selfish."  I glared back at him.

"It was either take our chances in Mirkwood or risk them getting captured by Orcs!"  I froze as he narrowed his eyes at me.  The last thing I wanted was to tell an elf that we basically relied on his people for our protection.  I colored as my anger grew inside me.  His voice sounded restrained as he spoke.

"What are you talking about?"  When I didn't respond, his voice sounded even more clipped.  "Well, I hope you can come to live with yourself if either of them are killed because, if Skyrena does die, I will come down here as long as you are a prisoner here, and I will torment you till the day you die!"  I stepped back, anger surging through my veins.

"No wonder she doesn't trust you elves..."  He started to protest, but I picked up the bowl of soup.  "And, now, neither do I!"  I splashed his face with the soup and dropped the bowl onto the ground by his feet, along with the blankets.  "Take your provisions and go!"  He wiped some of the soup from his face and shook his head at me.

"They'd better not die because of your foolishness..."  With that, he left.  I backed away from the door and stared up at the cells above me, wondering what Era and Skyrena were doing up there right now.  I'd never forgive myself if Era died here, and, if I lost Skyrena, I'd die.  Balin came to the wall beside me.

"Are you alright, laddie?"  I shook my head.

"No...  I'm worried about Skyrena and Era."  He sighed, and I could imagine him nodding.

"I'm sure they'll be alright, Thorin.  I may not know much about Era, but, if she's able to assure us that everything's going to be alright, then I believe her."  I nodded in agreement.

"You're right, Balin.  I'm sure it'll all work out."

*Era's Pov-

"Stupid dwarf..."  I looked up and saw Legolas coming up the stairs, wiping his face.  I came over to the door, trying not to laugh.  He turned and glared at me.  "What're you looking at?"

"What happened to you?"  He stopped by the door and wiped his hand onto his pants.

"That stupid dwarf is what happened!"  I flinched but didn't cringe away from him.  He shook his head and looked at me.  "He's so stubborn...  I don't understand why you'd travel with the likes of him!  I mean, Skyrena, I can understand.  She's clearly smitten by him for some reason, but you...?"  I sighed.

"I'm not afraid.  I still don't want to join the elves of Mirkwood..."  He frowned at me.

"Why not?"  I swallowed hard as I thought about my answer.  If I told him it was because I  didn't belong in this particular timing, what would he say?  What would Thraudril say?  What would happen to everyone else?  I shrugged.

"I've already told Thorin I'd help him reclaim his homeland, and I'm not going anywhere until I help him."  Legolas raised an eyebrow at me.

"That seems highly unlikely..."  He came closer to the door.  "Why are you travelling with the dwarves?"  I swallowed hard and crossed my arms.

"Why does it matter to you?  You don't know anything about me with the exception of what I am..."  He sighed and shook his head at me.

"I don't know...  It just bothers me how stubborn Thorin is about all this and wish he'd consider what my father may do to you and Skyrena if Thorin doesn't consent."  I felt myself melt a little.

"You really care about Skyrena, don't you?"  He nodded, keeping his gaze down.

"Amd she's worried about you..."  He sighed and looked me in the eye.  "I wanted her to stay.  Father just...  He..."  He rammed his fist into the wall and shook his head again.  "It's complicated."  I stepped back and shook my head.

"Everyone fears what they don't understand..."  He frowned as he looked over at me.

"How would you know?"  I lowered my gaze and sighed.

"I've known most of my life...  Many people feared me when I was younger, and, as I grew, I found it harder to call any place home.  I even fell in love once, but he found out I was a shapeshifter and tried to kill me."  He frowned as he looked me up and down.

"What happened...?"  I felt tears well up in my eyes.

"He died trying to protect me..."  He swallowed hard and backed away.

"I'm not letting anything happen to you, shapeshifter.  That's a promise."  I knew he was serious as he left, which only made me feel worse.  Truth was, I wasn't scared of what all was happen.  I was more afraid of what was to come.