Chapter 50

*Era's Pov-

I felt as though I couldn't breath.  Everytime I coughed and gasped for air, I tasted my own blood.  I hoped desperately that Father and Mother were okay.  If not, this was all in vain...

"Era!"  I looked around, ignoring the bright sun that was clouded by the clouds above.  It sounded like Father...

*Thorin's Pov-

I dropped to my knees beside Era and pulled her head into my lap.  She coughed, sputtering blood as she did, and looked up at me, her eyes dimming.

"Father?"  I nodded, fighting my own tears.

"Yes, Era...  It's me."  She swallowed hard and coughed again.

"Where's...  Where's Mother?"  I swallowed hard and looked over at Skyrena, who laid nearby.

"She's here, Era...  She's fine.  We're all alright."  She smiled weakly and closed her eyes.

"I did it...  I saved you all, didn't I?"  I nodded.

"Yes...  You saved us all."  I brushed some hair from her face.  "If only I'd been able to save you..."  She coughed a little and shook her head.

"Maybe it's better this way, Thorin."  I noted how she quit calling me Father and felt my breath catch in my throat.

"No, don't say that, Era..."  I swallowed hard.  "I'm your father...  Please."  She smiled a little as she looked up at me.

"Promise me something, Father..."  I nodded.  "Bring me the necklace you gave Mother when you married."  I got up and removed the necklace from Skyrena's neck.  Placing it in Era's hand, I watched as she clutched it to her chest.  "Let me go..."  I shook my head.

"No, Era...  I can't do that!"  She looked at me, a single tear streaming down her face.

"It hurts, Father...  It hurts."  She coughed again and turned her head.  After a few heaves, she puked blood.  "Please, Father...  Let me go."  I swallowed hard, unable to let this happen.

"Balin's coming, Era.  He can help you..."  She shook her head.

"I've already tried...  It's too deep.  I don't have long anyways."  She coughed again and looked up at me as tears flowed freely down her face.  "I can drain my own energy into the necklace.  It'll make my death less painful...  Like falling asleep after a long day.  Promise me..."  She reached out and took my hand.  "Promise me that, when the time is right and I am grown, you'll show me the energy..."  I frowned and tried to contain my own tears.

"But, why?"  She smiled at me.

"Energy doesn't just exist in us, Father.  It holds our most precious and memorable memories..."  She coughed again, hacking violently.  I lifted her head back into my lap.  "My memories will guide me when the time comes, Father."  I nodded.

"Very well..."  She closed her eyes and breathed heavily before looking back up at me.

"I love you, Father."  I forced a smile and brushed some hair back from her face.

"I love you, too, Era..."  With that, she took a deep, shaky breath and closed her eyes, growing completely still.  I swallowed hard as I leaned forward to kiss her forehead.  "Era...?"  Not a single sound came from her.  I knew immediately that she was dead.

As I buried my face in her hair, a silent sob escaped my throat, and tears streamed down my face.  She was gone...  I sobbed into her silky hair until I felt a hand on my shoulder.  I looked up and saw Bilbo, who was trying not to cry either.

"She was a good person, Thorin...  I'm sorry."  I sniffed and shook my head.

"She wasn't just a good person.  She was a great warrior..."  I turned to see Balin kneeling beside Skyrena while Fili and Kili stood nearby, staring at me in silent shock.  I swallowed hard and lowered my gaze.  "She's gone, Fili...  I couldn't save her..."  A cry escaped his throat as he hit the ground beside me, tears streaming down his face.

"She swore she'd be careful!  She promised!"  I placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"She had been.  It was my fault..."  He glanced up at me.  "I wasn't careful enough or quick enough, Fili.  I almost got myself killed, and I didn't reach her in time to stop the blow.  It's my fault..."  The others gathered around as and began to murmur.  I looked down and gasped.

Era's body was slowly turning into a mist and disappearing.  I watched as she seemed to turn into the fog around us before she completely disappeared.  All that remained was the wooden threshing I had given Skyrena, the one Era stored her dying energy in.  I picked it up and stood, wiping my eyes.  Turning to the others, I turned and spoke.

"Era was a great warrior.  I know know of us will forget how she had been, but I promise to raise her to be as great, if not greater than ever, for she was my daughter."  I turned and started towards Balin, who looked up at me.

"It looks like hypothermia, Thorin.  We have to get her inside..."  I placed the necklace around Skyrena's neck and picked her up.  She curled close to me, shivering and unconscious.  I nodded to the others and started down the summit of the waterfall, leading my company back to Erebor, which was our's again.

*Skyrena's Pov-

I was running through the woods of Mirkwood, being chased by Arzog, on the white warg, swinging a head around.  First, it was Thror's...  Then, Thrain's...  Then, Thorin's...  Finally, it changed to Era's.  I screamed as I tripped over a root, and Azog roared in mocking laughter as he raised his sword.

"Skyrena?"  I swore I heard Thorin's voice.  Feeling a strong arm around my midsection and a warm, soft mound beside me, I began to think that everything had just been a nightmare, and Thorin was by my side, trying to wake me up.  "Skyrena!"  I jumped and looked around.

Thorin was sitting on the foot of the bed, looking worried.  Looking around, I saw it was just us.  I was practically buried in furs and had been curled up into a ball with my own arm wrapped around me.  I heaved a sigh of relief and fell back onto the pillow.

"Era did it...  She saved our lives!"  I looked over and saw the sadness in his eyes.  "Thorin, what's wrong?"  He swallowed hard.

"She did.  But, she lost her life doing it..."