Chapter 8

A couple days later, we were pulling up near Rivendell.  In the meantime, Fili and Kili were really seeming to become my friends more than ever.  However, I was still worried about what was coming.  As we pulled off to a stop, I frowned as I took in the old scents that reeked the ground.

"We'll camp here..."  I frowned and dismounted, approaching Skyrena.

"Do you smell that?"  She frowned as she took in the scent.

"Yeah, I do..."  I turned and looked around.  "I don't recognize the scent, though."  I nodded as I searched for Thorin and Gandalf.  However, Gandalf already beat us to challenging the campsite.

"I think it would be wise to camp else where."  I nodded in agreement as Thorin turned towards us.  "We could make for the Hidden Valley!"  Thorin shook his head.

"Here is fine..."  I shook my head.

"No...  Something's been here, and it smells dangerous."  Skyrena nodded in agreement.  "Gandalf's right.  It would be wiser to at least choose a completely different campsite."  Thorin smiled kindly at me as he rested a hand on my shoulder.

"Come now, Era...  I'm sure it's nothing to worry about."  Skyrena stepped forward, shaking her head.

"No, Thorin.  She's right..."  He turned and looked between the two of us before responding.

"I'm certain it's nothing...  And, even if it was, I wouldn't go to the elves for help.  We are perfectly capable of fighting our own fights."  I huffed as Gandalf turned and walked off, practically steaming in annoyance.  Shaking my head, I pulled away.

"Whatever..."  I watched Skyrena argue with Thorin for a few before storming off as well as I headed out to find Fili and Kili.

"Are you alright?"  I shrugged as I sat on a nearby rock.

"Just peachy..."  Kili shook his head as he helped gather the ponies.

"Don't worry, Era.  Uncle Thorin is usually right about stuff like this."  I shrugged and watched as night fell.

"Has anyone seen Skyrena?"  Thorin sounded a little nervous.  "I haven't seen her since we first set camp."  I frowned as I looked around.

"I'm gonna scout out and look for her..."  Bofur frowned as he caught my arm.

"Are you crazy?  Skyrena's likely to be off sulking.  Thorin's usually more willing to take her advice, so I think she expects it from now on."  I pulled my arm free and shook my head.

"No...  I smell something, and it doesn't smell friendly."  He chuckled a little.

"That's what happens when men cook...  I almost wish Skyrena had cooked our meal.  That woman can put the greatest of chefs to shame..."  I rolled my eyes.

"I mean, I sense danger."  Thorin came over as Bofur sent Bilbo over with food for Fili and Kili.

"I'd really rather you stay close, Era...  If something's holding Skyrena up, I'd hate to send you out there without any help."  I nodded as he paced around, but, as soon as his back was turned, I took off into the woods, tracking the scent, which was stronger than ever.

Pretty soon, I came across a camp fire and some trolls.  They numbered to 3, and they had a couple of our ponies.  Near the pen where they held the ponies captive, I saw Skyrena, knocked out, tied up, and propped against on of the posts.  In most sense, I should have gone back and told Thorin, but he'd have been angry with me for leaving in the first place.  But, if I managed to bring Skyrena and the ponies back, his anger may diffuse.  So, I decided to sneak in and free them.

"Mutton yesterday...  Mutton today.  And if it ain't mutton again..."  I shifted into a tiny mouse and crept along the outskirts of the camp fire's light.  Hopefully this works...

*Fili's Pov-

"Oh great..."  Kili and Bilbo looked over at me.  "There's trolls in these woods."  Bilbo swallowed hard and shook his head.

"Trolls...?"  Kili raised an eyebrow.

"So, Era was right."  I frowned and looked back towards our camp.

"Where is she, anyways?"  As we crept closer, we stopped where we could see the camp.  By what looked like a pen was Skyrena with something on her shoulder.  As I looked closer, I realized it was a mouse.

"She's here, alright..."  Kili took the words right out of my mouth.  I looked over at Bilbo and nodded.

"Get in there and free the ponies...  We'll be here in case you need help."  As soon as we drew back, Kili looked over at me.

"We're not sticking around, are we?"  I shook my head.

"Nope...  We're going to go get Thorin and the others."

*Era's Pov-

I saw movement out of the corner of my eye and backed into the shadows behind Skyrena's hair.  It was Bilbo, creeping right towards us.  I watched as he made it over with almost as much ease as I had experienced and try to free the ponies.  Then, he looked over at Skyrena's limp form and searched for a dagger.  That's when I shifted back.

"These ropes are too thick..."  He froze as he looked me up and down before responding.

"How're we going to free them...?"  He looked over and noticed one of the trolls, who had what looked like a dagger.  "I can get that dagger, and..."  I shook my head.

"What if they catch you?"  He shrugged and took off towards the troll.  I ducked back and watched as he inched the blade free until...

"Bly'me!  Look what came outta me nogger!"  I rolled my eyes, knowing this would happen.  I watched as the 3 trolls argued a little before deciding to go after Bilbo, whom they had dropped.  That's when I came out of hiding, shifting into a huge wolf that was almost as big as them.

When I was knocked to the ground, I shifted into a troll and smashed 2 of their heads together before I heard the third scream out in pain.  I turned and realized the third one had Bilbo.  Beside him stood Kili, looking ready to kill him.

"Drop him!"  I let go of both trolls and shifted back into a dwarf as the troll snarled and threw Bilbo at Kili.  Just then, Thorin and the others came running into the clearing.  Just before heading into the fight, Thorin stopped beside me.

"So, you disobeyed me to figure out where Skyrena was..."  As I stared him down, I saw him smile.  "Well, I guess I couldn't stop you unless I tied you to a tree."  With that, we both charged.  I headed right towards Skyrena.