Chapter 33

*Thorin's Pov-

"Thorin, we have to do something!"  I shuddered as I listened to the screaming and the flames consuming all in their path.  I couldn't bear to watch.  This was all our fault...

"Wait, is that...?  It's Skyrena!"  I whirled around and searched the sky over Lake Town.  A black dragon, which I assumed was Skyrena, flew up to meet Smaug.  I shook my head, fighting the sense of helplessness I felt.

"No...  She can't be up there!  She'll get herself killed!"  I started towards the ledge and called out.  "Skyrena!"  However, I knew she couldn't hear me.

*Skyrena's Pov-

"So...  You are the one who kept me from my quarrel with the king under the mountain."  The huge dragon reared back to look at me, his deep voice causing me to shudder.  "I have no quarrel with you, shapeshifter.  Step aside and let me burn the humans."  I snorted as I stared him down.

"Never, you overgrown worm!  You stole the homeland of the dwarves, diminished Dale, and, now, you turn against the men of Lake Town.  I'll give you a choice: leave and never return, or face death!"  He roared and blew fire at me.

"Insolent fool!"  He lunged, flying right at me.

I braced myself for impact and clawed at his face.  He reared back when I scratched an eye out.  Without warning, he sank his teeth into my forearm.  I screamed out, struggling to keep the form of a dragon.  I bent down and buried my teeth into his throat, making him release my arm.  Just before he attacked again, I heard another roar.  Looking up, I saw another black dragon coming right towards us and knew immediately who it was.

"Era, no!"

*Thorin's Pov-

"Wait a second...  Now, there's three dragons!"  I squinted through the flames and saw the two black dragons and Smaug.  Immediately, I knew who the second black dragon was.

"Era!"

*Era's Pov-

Smaug turned to face me right as I landed, drawing his attention away from Skyrena.  I growled at him as he swung his head and looked at me, reminding me of a snake that was about to strike.  Suddenly, he began to chuckle.

"So, there are two shapeshifters?  I never would have guessed..."  He turned to face Skyrena.  "And who is she, shapeshifter?  A friend?  Maybe even your own kin?"  He turned back to face me.  "Not that it matters...  Step aside, shapeshifter."  I felt the rumble in my chest deepen as I stared him down.

"Never, you lizard.  You wanna take down Lake Town, or the dwarves for that matter, you have to take me down..."  He grinned slightly.

"That can be arranged."  Just before he attacked me, Skyrena rose and tackled him to the ground.  I backed off, trying not to get caught up in the struggle.  However, it only lasted seconds before Smaug loomed over Skyrena, who'd changed back to a dwarf.  "First, this shapeshifter will die."  He looked at me.  "Then you, shapeshifter...  Your species will die alone."

"Hey, you foul worm!"  We both looked over and saw Bard at the windlance.  Bain stood by his side.  "You said you were here to kill men, not shapeshifters, beast!  I am Bard, decendent of Lord Gideon of Dale!  Come for me, not the shapeshifter."  Smaug snorted and started towards them.

"What are the shapeshifters to you, human?  You are a decendent of Dale!  You think I don't know what they did to the shapeshifter?  They hunted her.  They would have killed her had it not been for that dwarf.  Let me finish your ancestors work before I finish off the lot of you."  He started back towards Skyrena, but she was gone.

*Skyrena's Pov-

Without thinking, I shifted back into a dragon and attacked him from behind.  Sinking my teeth into his neck, I used both my arms and my legs to hold his wings down.  He reared back, exposing his unprotected skin under his left wing and shot fire into the sky.  Bard fired the arrow and found his mark.  I shifted back into a dwarf as Smaug flew into the sky, roaring in pain.

Just before I hit the ground, I saw Era, who was roaring and charging at me.  I smiled a little as I hit the ground and sank into the lake.

*Thorin's Pov-

"Hey!  The dragon just went down!"  I turned back to watch Smaug disappear into the lake.  There was no sign of the black dragons, but I didn't expect there to be.  Skyrena went down a while ago, and I quit watching after Era disappeared.  I turned around and shook my head, fighting my tears.

"No sign of her..."  Around me, the others bowed their heads, knowing that I was talking about Skyrena.  I glanced towards the mountain.  "I told her not to come!"  Now, the tears were streaming down my face.  "Now...  Now she's gone!"  I glared back at the others.  "Doesn't she know that she was the reason for all this?  Why I wanted to reclaim Erabor!"  I looked up at the mountain and shook my head as I started towards it.  Skyrena would have been happy for the rest of her life, if only she had survived...  And what would become of Era?

*Era's Pov-

I dove into the lake, searching for Skyrena.  I swam as deep as I could through the black waters.  All around me, burning debris sank and soon distingushed.  I resurfaced and looked around, hoping to see her.

"Skyrena!"  I couldn't see her.  "Skyrena!"  I shivered as I felt myself sink a little into the water.  It was so cold, and I was growing more tired as each second passed.  Suddenly, I heard shouting.

"Era!"  At first, it sounded like Skyrena, but, as the voices got closer, the voices sounded deeper and more masculine.  I felt my eyes drop as I clung to a piece of nearby debris and scanned the horizon of the lake.  Then, I saw a small boat with several familiar shapes in it.  "Era!"  Before I could call out, I lost my grip on the debris and sank below the surface.