Chapter 37

I backed away, staring between both Thorin and Fili.  No...  It couldn't be.  I swallowed hard and found myself shaking my head.

"Thorin..."  He held up a hand, silencing me.

"Now, Era, I know how much of a surprise this must be..."  I raised an eyebrow at him as he continued.  "I gave him permission as long as you will have him."  I felt my blood run cold as my breath shortened.

"I...  I..."  I lowered my gaze.  "I couldn't...  I don't belong here."  Fili frowned as he approached me.

"I've told you before, Era...  Of course you belong."  I backed away from him, unsure of how to tell him.

"No...  I don't, and I never could."  I looked up at Thorin and shook my head.  "I just couldn't."  He stood, his voice deepening into a threatening tone.

"Why not?"  I swallowed hard and stared him down.

"Because I already plan on returning to my previous life..."  He shook his head.

"I won't allow it, Era.  Now, I suggest you get it through your head that this is where you belong now."  I shook my head, feeling my anger start to build up in me.

"I don't, Thorin, and you know it..."  Fili frowned and looked between the two of us.

"Uncle, what is she talking about...?"  He turned to me.  "Era, please..."  I turned to him, feeling tension rise through my spine.

"I'm sorry, Fili, but I can't marry you."  His frown deepened as he shook his head.

"But, why?"  I swallowed hard and lowered my gaze.

"I can't tell you..."  Thorin sighed from his throne.

"Era, give up this nonsense..."  Fili caught my arms and turned me to face him.

"Just tell me, Era..."  Thorin rose from his throne.

"Era, I forbid you to breath a word about this..."  I felt something snap inside me.

"I just can't, Fili...  I don't belong here.  In fact, I shouldn't even exist!"  I felt his grip tighten on my arms as he looked me in the eye.

"What do you mean, Era?"  I trembled as I tried to pull away.

"I'm not from this timing, Fili...  I'm not supposed to be here."  He released me as Thorin approached us and glared at him.

"What does she mean, Uncle?"  Thorin glanced between the two of us as Fili stepped between Thorin and I.  "What is she talking about?"  I noted the venom in his voice as I spoke for Thorin.

"I am Thorin and Skyrena's daughter from about 100 years into the future, Fili."  He turned to face me as I trembled, knowing both he and Thorin were watching me now.  "I don't know how I got here, but I came to change what happened during this journey in order to save your's, Kili's, and Thorin's lives."  He turned to Thorin, sounding hurt.

"Is this true, Uncle?  Is she really from another timing?  Is she really your future daughter?"  Thorin's gaze dropped, but the stubborness in his tone remained.

"It's true, Fili..."  He looked up at the two of us.  "I can explain..."  Fili turned to me.

"Why didn't you tell me?  Do the others know?"  I shook my head.

"Skyrena, Thorin, Gandalf, and I all thought that it would be best not to tell anyone, except those who might know how to get me back to my own timing..."  I looked over at Thorin and shook my head.  "Now, I see Thorin had other ideas."  Fili turned and glared at Thorin.

"Is that true, Uncle?"  Thorin glanced between the two of us, a feverish look burning in his eyes.

"No...  I mean, yes."  He groaned as he lowered his gaze and shook his head.  "Please, just let me explain!"  I crossed my arms, glaring at him.

"This had better be good..."  He sighed and came towards me.

"I just...  I knew when you first told us what happened that you had to be mine and Skyrena's...  At first, I was curious, but, as the trip continued, I found myself wanting to be your Father more than anything.  And, after a while, I realized that I couldn't imagine what life would be like after you left, so I decided I'd find a way to keep you here..."  He looked up at me.  "I never wanted to hurt or offend you, Era."  I swallowed hard and stepped just out of reach.

"I can't stay, Thorin.  After this is all over, I have to return to my own timing..."  I felt tears fill my eyes as I lowered my gaze.  "I couldn't stay, even if I wanted to.  I'm sorry..."  I turned to Fili and looked up at him.  "I'm sorry, Fili, but I just can't..."  Before either of them could respond, I took off, running out of the throne room and down the halls.

*Fili's Pov-

I stood there, staring out the door, waiting Era run.  I couldn't believe what had just happened...  I turned to Thorin and glared at him.

"This is all your fault, Uncle!"  He turned and looked at me.

"Please, Fili, not you, too...  I couldn't stand it."  I glared at him, my arms crossed.

"You should have thought of that before you started shoving Era and I at each other!  You should have thought about what would happen, but you didn't!  Now, Era's out there, probably getting ready to leave, and you're saying you can't bear it if I'm mad at you, too?!?"  I narrowed my eyes at him.  "She's right, you know...  This place has kept you from thinking clearly."  With that, I stormed out the door and through the halls, hoping to find Era.

It wasn't her fault she was here.  It wasn't her fault Thorin threw her at me.  Heck, it wasn't even her fault I developed feelings for her.  It was Thorin's...