Chapter 23

*Skyrena's Pov-

Soon, the dark, gloomy woods towered over us.  I shivered as I noticed the changes that had occurred since I last called this home.  I gulped and looked over at Thorin, who smiled at me.

"It'll be okay, Skyrena.  I promise I'll keep you safe."  Gandalf insisted that we release the ponies as he inspected the woods.  Beside me, Era looked pale and ill.  I frowned.

"Are you alright?"  She looked over and shook her head.

"No...  I'm feeling rather nauseous, actually."  She reached for her skin of water and took the tiniest of sips.  "I guess you can say I sense a lot of evil in these woods."  I was just about to respond when Gandalf came out of the woods.

"Not my horse!"  He gave swift instructions as he mounted: we were to go through Mirkwood on the Elven Road and wait for him beneath the mountain, not enter.  I nodded and huffed as he rode off.  I knew the road had not changed, and, since I knew the forest pretty well, I was to lead us through.

*Era's Pov-

"Fili and Kili...  Stay with Era."  I looked around weakly as both came over to me.  I couldn't even move much anymore.

"Is she alright...?  Should I carry her...?  She looks a little pale..."  I felt someone's arm wrap around my waist and pull me along.  "Come on, Era..."  I couldn't even see straight, much less tell who it was, but, due to the fact that I no longer could hear the voice coaxing me along, I figured I was moving along.

*Skyrena's Pov-

We travelled for hours upon hours down the twisted road.  I kept a careful eye peeled, looking for any signs of elves, knowing that if they were to discover me, I would be a goner.  Thorin trudged beside me, keeping order.  Dwalin and Balin helped lead the way, helping me keep to the trail.

Fili and Kili were helping Era along, who looked ready to collapse at any second.  It troubled me to see her so weak, but at least she was keeping up with the boys helping her along.  I just couldn't stop thinking about what she said.

I guess you can say I sense a lot of evil in these woods.  Something about what she said just put me on the edge...

"Skyrena!"  I stopped and realized that, as cautious as we tried to be, we'd lost the road.  Before me stood a huge riff in the road.  Thorin's hand was on my shoulder.  "Are you alright?"  I nodded and swallowed hard.

"We have to find the road!"  We searched desperately for hours, but it was gone, it seemed.  Then, the bickering started.  As Thorin tried to calm everyone down, I headed over to Era, who was resting on a rock.  "Are you okay?"  When she didn't respond, Fili shook his head.

"She's been like this since we entered these woods..."  Kili nodded in agreement as he frowned at me.

"You're a shapeshifter.  Why aren't you sensing what she's sensing...?"  I sighed as I looked around.  Truth was, I could sense the same evil she was sensing, but it wasn't making me sick.  Instead, it was making me tense up to the point that I felt like I was going to snap in half.

"Keep an eye on her, boys..."  With that, I did a quick head count and noticed Bilbo climbing a nearby tree.  Then, I noticed movement in the trees.  "Thorin...?  I think we're being watched."  That was all I could say before I found myself face to face with a huge spider...

*Era's Pov-

When I finally could breath again, the sound of fighting was the first thing I noticed.  Thorin stood before me, appearing upside down, shouting something at me.  I moved a little, but he ended up having to cut me free.  I hit the ground with a hard thud.  Fili pulled the webbing off me as Skyrena helped me to my feet.  Thorin reached us right as the spiders charged at us from the trees.

I drew my sword, too scared to risk a shift.  Before the first spider reached me, an arrow embedded itself between its beady eyes.  I turned, hoping it was Killi, but saw elves coming at us.  There was a host of 20 elves.  While some busied themselves with the spiders, the rest surrounded us.  I recognized only one.  Legolas pointed his arrow at Thorin as the one beside him aimed at Skyrena and myself.  Legolas seemed more solemn than I remembered him.  Thorin flinched, almost like he was trying to draw attention away from Skyrena and I while Fili nudged us behind him.  Legolas glared at both of them.

"Don't think I won't kill you, dwarf."  A sudden shout caught everyone's attention.  It was Killi, being attacked, weaponless, by a spider.  I thought about heading towards him, but Legolas's aim turned to me.  "Don't even..."  I gulped and hung my head, hoping to draw attention away from Skyrena and conceal the necklace from his gaze.  I watched, through the thin curtain of hair, as the spider charged at Killi.  Suddenly, a red haired elf appeared and killed the spider before it reached Kili.  Meantime, the elves searched us all and disarmed us.  The elf who searched me froze when he found the necklace, which refused to come off.

"Legolas."  Legolas, who was searching Gloin, turned towards him.

"What is it...?"  He came over and examined the necklace.  "Made from the same metal that was used to create the chains that once imprisoned shapeshifters..."  He glared at me.  "Who are you...?"  Beside me, Skyrena squeaked and glared up at him.

"Legolas, leave her alone!"  He turned and frowned at her.

"Skyrena?"  I flinched as if I had been struck.  Thorin stepped between the two of us and the elves.

"Don't you even think about it..."  The elves had already draw their bows, aiming right at Skyrena.  Legolas held up him hand, warning them to hold their fire.

I closed my eyes, waiting to see what would happen.  They spoke elvish for a little while, debating whether to kill me on the spot or take me to Thraudril.  The red haired elf approached, trailing Killi.  She entered the discussion and yelled that I should be spared, at least for now.  Soon, we were all being lead to the palace.