Chapter 44

"With the Arkenstone, we may be able to bargain for what we need.  We can leave Skyrena and Era out of this and live in peace with the dwarves!"  Lord Thraudril nodded in agreement.

"Very well...  We accept this gift and will attempt to avoid war."  As they left the tent, Gandalf turned to me.

"I would not suggest you return to Erabor.  Thorin will be enraged when he discovers what you have done."  I shrugged.

"I'm not afraid of him."  Gandalf shook his head.

"Not as afraid as you should be..."  With that, he lead me to a ruined building where I was to spend the night.

*Era's Pov-

I felt as though I'd just fallen asleep when I woke to see the bright sun rising over the earth.  Outside, I could hear the men of Lake Town and the elves of Mirkwood setting up for war.  I rose and grabbed the weapons I brought with me.  This was it...

*Skyrena's Pov-

The first thing I noticed when I woke up was the strong arm wrapped around my waist, keeping me close.  I rolled over and realized it was Thorin, who was still asleep.  I smiled and looked up at the ceiling, remembering the events of last night.  I swallowed hard as I realized I hadn't spared Bilbo a single thought all night.  I did hope that he disposed of the Arkenstone...  A knock on the door startled me, making me jump in a way that woke Thorin.  He sat up and looked around.

"Who is it?"  He sounded so gruff, it made me want to disappear entirely.

"It's Dwalin.  I came to report that dawn has risen, and the enemy have lined up for battle."  I cursed the world, not wanting to go out to face the day.  Thorin muttered under his breath before answering.

"I'll be right out."  He looked down at me, the cloudy look still overcasting the tenderness in his eyes.  "This is it...  I must defend what is, by all rights, ours."  I sat up beside him, using a fur to cover myself.

"Thorin...  You don't have to fight.  The men just want what you promised them: a share of the riches.  They only want enough to rebuild their lives.  Unfortunately, the elves want either the Starlight gems or me...  I'd sooner give them the Starlight gems than face them in battle and risk getting taken."  He rested his forehead on mine as his hands caressed my body.

"I know what they want, Skyrena.  They won't get it without a fight.  And, I swear no one will hurt you as long as I'm still breathing."  He got up and put on some clothes and his armor.  I slipped into the dress I had worn the night before and helped him with the armor.  "I swear, when this is over, you will be happy again."  He tilted my chin up.  "I promise that this will be the last of our troubles."  With that, he kissed me and walked out the door.  My head was spinning from trying to think of how to stop all this as I raced to my chambers.

Changing from my dress to my old travel clothes, I put on the armor Thorin gave me the night before.  Making sure the bear print and the wooden threshing were around my neck, I selected a sword, 2 daggers, a bow, and a quiver full of arrows.  Finally ready, I raced to the throne room and to the balcony on the wall Thorin had built.  There, the dwarves were meeting and lining up for battle.  I noticed Bilbo was among them.

"Did you dispose of it?"  He glanced around nervously.

"Maybe not in the way you wish I had, but, yes, I did."  I was about to ask him what he meant when Thorin came over to us.

"Where's Era?"  I swallowed hard and tried to look as confused as he was.

"I don't know...  Maybe she's in her chambers."  Fili caught my gaze briefly before looking away while Thorin shook his head.

"No...  Dwalin says he already looked there.  We can't find her anywhere."  I wanted to tell him, but, before I could respond, Bard called out to us.

"We have accepted payment in order to avoid this war."  I frowned and stood beside Thorin, who glared into the morning light at them.

"I did not send any payment to you to avoid this."  Bard pulled out a cloth from his coat.

"We accepted this..."  He unwrapped the Arkenstone.  All around me, the dwarves gasped, with the exception of Thorin, who seemed to fight to control himself.

"It is a trick...  They are trying to trick us!"  I looked at Bilbo, who stepped up.

"No...  Actually, it's not a trick.  That is the Arkenstone."  I could barely contain my surprise.

"You gave it to them?"  All of us were facing him now as he nodded, looking a little ashamed.

"I considered it my 14th of the treasure..."  I turned to look at Thorin, who was burning in anger.

"Your 14th...?"  Without warning, he lunged at Bilbo, yelling as he shook the little hobbit and threatening to throw him over the wall.  I caught Thorin's shoulder and tried to pull him away, but he shrugged me off and sent me stumbling back towards the edge of the wall.  Bofur reached out and caught my arm before I fell.  I yelled over everyone.

"Enough!"  Everyone, even Thorin as he kept his grip on Bilbo, froze.

Below us, Gandalf shouted in a deep commanding voice, which called Thorin's attention away from Bilbo and myself long enough for me to make him release Bilbo.  With the help of Bofur, I helped Bilbo get down the wall and away from Thorin.  Suddenly, I noticed another army coming from the East.  It was Dain Ironfoot from the Iron Hills.  Balin shook his head.

"Oh, this is not good."