Chapter 43

When I finally found her, I collapsed, crying into my hands.  Skyrena came up and dropped down beside me, holding her close to her and trying to soothe me.  When my sobs fell silent, she looked down at me and shook her head.

"What's wrong, Era?  What happened?"  I sniffed and wiped away what tears I could as I told her about my conversation with Fili and how bad I felt about what I said.  When I finally finished, she nodded and stroked my hair.  "I see...  I see..."  I took a deep, shaky breath, trying to calm myself.

"I understand the risk I'm taking by making this decision, but I've already lost so much over the years.  I'm more than willing to lay down my life rather than letting someone else suffer in my place."  She kissed the top of my head and nodded.

"I understand, Era."  She helped me to my feet and gave me a sword.  "Now, we must prepare you so you may return to us tomorrow, alive and well."  I took a deep breath and nodded, accepting the sword.

"I won't fail, Skyrena..."  With that, we started sparring, training for whatever may come tomorrow.

*Skyrena's Pov-

As soon as the sun had set, and the stars shined beside the moon, I followed Era to the secret door.  She was heavily armed, her necklace full of energy.  Before she left, I reminded her of our plan.

"You are to hide and prepare to face the Orcs tomorrow.  Remember, go and fight Azog.  As soon as he's dead, the army will fall back."  She nodded and left, disappearing into the night.

As soon as she was gone, I decided to go find Thorin.  First, I checked the throne room, then the treasury.  The latter is where I found him, pacing and looking for the Arkenstone.  I stood at the doorway.

"Thorin?"  He didn't turn, but he at least responded.

"I have to find it...  It has to be here..."  I walked towards him.

"Thorin...  It's late.  You need to rest!"  He shook his head as I approached him.

"No...  I have to find it."  As soon as I reached him, I placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Thorin..."  He turned, the feverish look replacing the cloudy look as I lowered my gaze.  "I forbid you to go to battle tomorrow without any rest."  He huffed and nodded.

"Alright, fine..."  He took my hand in his.  "Only if you come with me."  I swallowed hard, feeling my stomach flip.  However, if it would get him to rest, then I might as well do as he says.  Nodding, I met his gaze.

"Very well."  Allowing him to hold my hand, I started towards his chambers.  Walking through the halls, I couldn't help but wonder if Bilbo and Era were doing as I said to.  As soon as we reached his chambers, I smiled.

"Good night, Thorin."  I tried to free my hand, but his grip was strong.  He shook his head as he opened the door.

"Where are you going?"  I swallowed hard.

"To my chambers...?"  He shook his head.

"Tonight, where you go, I go."  I understood what he meant and nodded as he lead me into the room.  His furs covered the bed, but the room was damp and cold.  He turned to shut and lock the door before turning to me.  "Shall we?"

My heart pounded as I nodded and watched him remove his clothing.  I turned and removed my clothing as well, feeling scared as well as...  Well, I was nervous as I turned to face him again.  He picked me up and carried me over to the bed, laying me down on the nest of furs.  Laying down beside me, he smiled.

"I love you, Skyrena.  I always have, and I always will..."

*Era's Pov-

I crept carefully down the mountain, avoiding being caught.  As soon as I was down, I headed for the ruins of Dale, where I planned on spending the night.  However, as I crept through the shadows, I saw something.  It was Bilbo.

*Bilbo's Pov-

Sneaking out wasn't easy, especially with the Arkenstone in my pocket.  Finally, after scaling the wall where the front gates used to stand, I swam through the creek and made it to the ruins of Dale.  Inside one of the tents, I heard some argueing.

"Listen to me...!"

"No, you listen to me.  Skyrena or the other shapeshifter are most likely the ones who freed them, anyways.  How do you know they won't come back for revenge on your people?"  I soon realized it was Bard and Lord Thraudril debating over what is to be done about Skyrena and Era.  I watched as Bard shook his head.

"I know they wouldn't!  They battled the dragon for us and helped me get a clear shot.  If it weren't for them, I never would have been able to argue our case with Thorin.  They saved my children from the Orcs, and Skyrena freed me from prison.  When offered the chance for their revenge, they chose death by the dragon.  They are not monsters, my Lord.  Why treat them like such?"  The elf huffed.

"I do not treat them like monsters.  They are criminals.  Skyrena came into my lands, despite being banished, and broke my prisoners out of my prisons.  She owes me for having not killed her yet.  And the shapeshifter disrespected me!"  I swallowed hard.  Skyrena...  Era...  No, I couldn't let myself become distracted.  I watched the arguement die as Lord Thraudril sighed.  "I do wish they had consented, though."  That's when I stepped out.

"Thorin won't consent..."  Everyone present turned to face me.  I swallowed hard and shook my head.  "Skyrena and Era both pleaded with him, but he refused.  He has dragon sickness."  Nearby, I saw Gandalf shake his head.

"That would explain why Thorin won't even listen to Skyrena."  Bard looked confused.

"But..."  Lord Thraudril raised his hand, silencing Bard, as he spoke to me.

"How do we know this is not a trick?"  I removed the Arkenstone from my pocket.

"Because I have brought you something that may help you get through to him..."  Lord Thraudril frowned as he looked between me and the Arkenstone.  "He's been searching for days for it, but I hid it from him.  Skyrena told me to rid myself of it, so I figured, if it would avoid war, it best be brought to you."  Lord Thraudril looked at me.

"Skyrena bid you to rid them of it?  Why?"  I lowered my head.

"Because, if Thorin gets it, it'll make him less agreeable than before.  If he truly wants it, he'll do anything for it, even if he has to part with half the treasure.  I know it's not as effective as bringing Skyrena would have, but it may still be effective."