Chapter 38

*Skyrena's Pov-

When I fled the throne room, I had immediately headed back to my chambers.  Something wasn't right...  Something was wrong with Thorin.  At first, I locked myself in my chambers and waited for Era, but, when she didn't come to find me, I began to worry and headed out to find her.  However, I couldn't find her, so I went out to find Balin.  Before I reached his office, I heard voices down the halls.

"Whatever Skyrena said, it's made him worse..."  It was Balin.  I started towards the sound, but the response from Dwalin stopped me in my tracks.

"She asked for a chance to think about...  Sent him into a rage.  I was standing right at the doorway, watching.  He grabbed her and shook her, yelling.  Then, he seemed to snap out of it and agreed to her answer.  The poor lass took off running with tears streaming down her face."  Balin sighed.

"Aye, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if she knows somethings wrong.  At first, we all thought it was grief, but, now...  Now, it looks to be dragon sickness.  If we don't do something soon, I fear it will get worse." I heard a sigh.  "And poor Era seems to have it just as bad.  I still don't understand what all that was about..."  I was absorbing what they said when they turned the corner and saw me.  Dwalin started.

"Skyrena?  I'm sorry...  We didn't see you there."  I looked over at Balin.

"Did you mean what you said about Thorin?  That, if we don't do something, he'll get worse?"  Balin sighed and shook his head.

"You heard us, didn't you?"  Without waiting for an answer, he nodded.  "Yes, unfortunately, he will."  I swallowed hard and turned away.

"Do you think...  By any chance...?"  I turned to face him.  "Would he get better if I did marry him?"  Dwalin spoke over Balin, who tried to answer.

"No, Skyrena...  What if he hurts you?"  Balin placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Skyrena, I do believe he would get better if you did.  However, I don't necessarily want you to.  Dwalin's right, though.  If I'm wrong, and he gets worse, you could get hurt."  I sniffed and sat down at the bottom of the stairs.

"I know..."  I rubbed my arms where he had grasped me, practically crushing my arms.  "But what if he does get better?  We'll never know until we try."  Balin smiled and sat down beside me.

"Let me tell you something, Skyrena.  You've proven yourself to be as brave, if not braver, than any one of us.  I trust that, whatever you decide, it's the right choice."  He looked between Dwalin and I.  "And, no matter what happens, we will stand beside you and whatever you choose to do."  Dwalin smiled as he helped me to my feet.

"Aye...  We will."  I smiled at both of them.

"Thanks, Balin...  Thanks, Dwalin."  Balin smiled a little before he looked away.

"What all did you hear from our conversation?"  I swallowed hard and lowered my gaze.

"Everything from what I said making things worse with Thorin..."  Dwalin and Balin exchanged glances before Balin spoke.

"What's the deal with Era?"  When I frowned, Dwalin spoke up.

"She said she didn't belong...  Something about timing...?"  I sighed and buried my face in my hands.

"Era...  She's mine and Thorin's daughter.  She was born after we took back Erebor, but, somehow, she was brought here and was able to join us for the journey.  She said that this wouldn't end well for Thorin, Fili, or Kili, and she asked to come along and, maybe, change what happened."  Balin nodded as he sighed.

"Well, that would explain a lot."  I frowned and looked over at him.

"What do you mean?"  He turned and smiled at me.

"She's so much like you and Thorin...  Her hair is as black as Thorin's, and she as much as a warrior as the two of you combined."  He patted me on the shoulder.  "Besides, I could tell you and Thorin really care for her."  I nodded.

"More than anything else in this whole world..."  I frowned a little as I looked at him.  "Did Thorin speak with Era?"  He blinked hard and looked away, nodding.

"Fili asked him for Era's hand, and he spoke with her about it..."  My jaw dropped as he looked back at me.  "The poor lass nearly lost it as she agrued with him and Fili until she ended up telling Fili her secret.  Now, both he and Era are upset with Thorin."  So that's why Era didn't come find me...  I stood up and started down the halls as Dwalin called out.

"Where are you going?"  I turned back to look at them.

"I have to find her..."  With that, I took off down the halls.

*Era's Pov-

I found myself on a ledge just outside of Erebor, next to the hidden door that had allowed Thorin and the others to enter the mountain.  I swallowed hard as I sat down and watched the sunset.  Somehow, just being outside, left to my own thoughts, soothed me.  I could finally focus and think straight.

I understood how Thorin felt.  Heck, there was no way I'd have an easy time leaving without feeling regret myself, but staying here forever?  No...  I had to return to my own timing...

"Era...?"  I turned and looked back at the door, which I had propped open.  There stood Fili.  I swallowed hard and turned away.

"How'd you find me?"  He chuckled a little and came over and sat down beside me.

"I figured you'd head out for some fresh air.  After all, it's what Skyrena does when she's upset..."  He sat down beside me.  "Please tell me you're not thinking of jumping."  I turned and looked at him.

"Why would I do that?"  He looked me in the eye.

"If I had known..."  I shook my head and turned back towards the scenery.

"There's no telling how you all would have reacted...  I'm sure you were quiet surprised."  He chuckled again, nodding.

"Yeah, well, I should have seen it coming.  I mean, you're so much like Thorin and Skyrena, I had sworn you had to be related to them."  I smiled a little and shrugged.

"If it makes you feel better, I'm not leaving anytime soon, either."  I looked over at him.  "I still have one more thing to do."  He frowned and looked at me.

"And, what would that be?"  I looked away, unable to hold his gaze.

"Save your life..."