Chapter 49

*Era's Pov-

I heaved a sigh of relief when I saw Mother it the wreckage rather than the bottom of the waterfall.  As Azog roared in anger, he turned towards me.

"I'll kill you myself..."  I dropped the twin blades and drew my broader sword as he charged.

I deflected his blow and and ducked before the next blow came.  He roared in anger and knocked me aside, sending my sword sliding across the ice.  I rolled away, moving out of the way of his fallen blade, and took off after it.  He charged after me, coming almost as fast as I was moving.  Before long, he knocked me aside again.  This time, he stepped on my arm, causing me to cry out in pain, and lifted his blade.

"No!"  Father was there, deflecting the blow.  Azog roared in anger and reared back, glaring at Father.

"Very well then, Oakenshield...  You will die first."  I rolled onto my side and watched as Father and Azog faced off, knowing that, unless I did something, Father would die.

*Skyrena's Pov-

As Legolas faced off against Bolg on the bridge, I picked up the blade of a fallen Orc and shouted to Legolas.

"Come on!"  With that, I raised the blade and slammed it into the wreckage, causing it to start to collapse on itself.  Legolas raced over, breaking what support the wreckage had left.  Reaching me, we both struck the wreckage, breaking it at last.  As Bolg fell among the wreckage, Legolas smiled down at me.

"I could have taken him..."  I smirked at him in response.

"Of course you could have, but I wasn't going to let you die protecting me..."  He patted me on the shoulder before I took off towards the top of the waterfall.

As soon as I reached the top, I found Era curled up in a ball, clinging to her own shoulder, while Thorin fought against Azog.  Thinking fast, I picked up a piece of ice, chucked it at Azog's head, and dropped down beside Era, holding her in my arms.  The pale Orc turned and glared at me.

"I just can't get rid of you, can I?"  Starting towards me, he set the piece of ice off balance.  Taking the oppertunity, Thorin threw the weight at Azog and stepped off the piece of ice.  We both watched as Arzog fell into the water.  Thorin approached me, and, dropping down beside me, he pulled me into a hug as he stroked back some of Era's hair.

"Are you alright?"  I nodded, calming my racing heart, and checked on Era.

Her shoulder was dislocated, and she was weary, but she was alive.  Below us, the body of Azog floated through the water.  Nodding at me to stay put, Thorin followed him.  Soon, Azog's eyes closed.  I heaved a sigh of relief and finally felt safe again.

"It's over..."  However, Azog's eyes flew open again as he thrust his blade up, right into Thorin's foot.

Pushing me away, Thorin yelled in agony as Azog burst through the ice.  I jumped up, pulling Era away from the battle.  Then, I turned to help Thorin.  Before I could reach them, I found myself on a patch of ice, which was cracking apart.  As I fought to keep my balance, I watched Arzog pin Thorin down with his blade at his chest.

"Watch her die, filth!"  Throwing the weight at me, I stumbled back and fell into the water.

*Era's Pov-

I swallowed hard as I bit back the pain and turned to face the Orc.  He'd just knocked Mother into the water and had Father pinned, his blade inches from killing him.  I stood up and drew my bow.  For my family...  For my friends, Fili and Kili...  For my future...

*Thorin's Pov-

As soon as Skyrena went under, I knew I was done-for.  Azog was inches from killing me when he jerked back and roared in pain.  Nearby, Era stood, bow drawn.  She'd healed her shoulder just enough to fire a single shot at Azog.  As he turned, leaving me lying there, I saw the arrow had embedded itself in his left shoulder.

"You..."

*Skyrena's Pov-

I resurfaced in time to see Era fire the arrow at Azog.  I pulled myself out of the water and laid there on the ice, shivering and too weak to move.

*Era's Pov-

He left Father alone and came right at me.  I braced myself and fired another arrow.  It caught him in the chest, but it didn't go deep enough to kill him.  Instead, it only slowed him down.  I slung my bow back over my shoulder and picked up my blade.  I was ready to die...  Before the killing blow came, Father came up and stabbed him in the back.  Azog shook him off and raised his blade.

"Die with the line of Durin, shapeshifter."  With that, he stabbed me in the stomach faster than I could deflect the blow.  I gasped for air as I collapsed.

*Thorin's Pov-

"No!"  I knocked Azog away from Era before he could finish her off.

As soon as he hit the ground, I ran my blade clear through to the ice beneath him.  He gasped for air and stared me down as the light in his eyes died.  I stepped away from the corpse and turned towards Skyrena, who shivered on the ice.

"Skyrena..."  I removed my cloak and wrapped it around her.  She shivered as she smiled weakly at me.

"Where's Era?"  I glanced over at my future daughter and shook my head.

"You need help..."  Before I could stand, Bilbo showed up.  I smiled at the little hobbit.  "Please, go get Balin and the others!  Tell them it's Skyrena and Era."  He nodded and ran off.  I let Skyrena go and turned towards Era, who was coughing blood, knowing she wasn't going to make it.