Chapter 13

"Anyways, I welcome you to Rivendell, Thorin Oakenshield."  Speaking some elvish, he was interrupted by Dwalin.

"Is he insulting our king?"  The others started yelling their protests as Gandalf yelled over us.

"He isn't insulting you!  He's inviting you in for dinner!"  We all settled down as Gloin huffed.

"Well then.  Lead the way."  He followed the elves onto their balcony where they served dinner.  I found myself at the table of Lord Elrond, who wished to see our blades.  After calling them by name, he questioned us about Skyrena and how we found her.  After hearing my story, he bit his lip.

"And she has no idea what happened to her kin?"  I shook my head.  "I may have something on her race in my library."  Gandalf smiled.

"I'm sure the two of them would appreciate that very much."  I nodded, remembering how she was attacked before us.  Lord Elrond frowned at this thought, too.

"And your friend, Era?  What is her story?"  I swallowed hard and looked over at Gandalf, who nodded encouragingly.

"She's not from here...  She came from the Grayhavens 105 years into the future."  The elf frowned and stared me down.

"What did you say...?"  I told him everything she'd told us, from her being my future daughter, to how she got to the Grayhavens, to when she showed up.  When I finally finished my story, Lord Elrond shook his head.  "But, that is impossible...  The Grayhavens only give that kind of magic to those who'll use it for good."  Gandalf smiled a little.

"She told us that she wishes to prevent the loss of many lives, my lord."  I nodded in agreement.

"Also, she's saved us quiet a few times already, at the cost of her own life."  I sighed and shook my head.  "I still can't imagine her being abandoned in the Grayhavens like that, though.  From what she's told us, it's really lonely.  No one deserves that sort of fate, my lord."  He nodded and smiled a little.

"Well, the good news is there is a way to return her.  I remember coming across this sort of situation in one of my books.  In the meantime, does your comapany know?"  I shook my head.

"Only Gandalf, Skyrena, herself, and I...  I wasn't sure what the others would make of the news."  He nodded briefly.

"That may have been wiser."  He frowned as he turned to Gandalf.  "What were all of you doing on the main road, anyways?"  I looked over at Gandalf, who smiled.

"We were on our way to see the ruin of Dale."  He nodded and turned back to me.

"Perhaps you would like to see how your friend is fairing, yes?"  I nodded and followed him to a room down an empty hall.  Seeing Skyrena there reminded me of when she was first brought to Erabor.  She lay on the bed, looking pale and weak.  An elf hovered over her, speaking in his native tongue.  I walked over and knelt down by the bed.

"How long will she be like this?"  The elf looked down and smiled at me.

"Not long, sir.  She is healing nicely from her mishap.  She may be awake within a hour."  I smiled and brushed some hair from her face.  Looking over at Gandalf, I swallowed hard.

"I never should have let her come."  Gandalf frowned.

"Why?  She wanted to come, and she knew the danger.  If anything, the wound was just a scratch in comparison to any other injury she's received before.  There was no reason for her not to come!"  I hung my head.

"I wish to see Era now..."  Lord Elrond smiled kindly and motioned towards the door.

"This way."

*Fili's Pov-

Era was pale and limp on the bed while the elf tended to her wounds.  I breathed heavily as I waited patiently for him to finish.  After a while, the door opened.

"Fili..."  I turned and saw Thorin, one of the elves, and Gandalf coming towards us.  I forced a smile for my uncle's sake.

"She's still out..."  The elf approached the other and spoke in their native tongue.  All 3 of us waited patiently for any news.  Finally, the elf turned to us.

"She's still alive, but we're not sure for how long.  Her energy is almost completely gone, and she's lost more blood than she'll be able to recover in a few days."  The elf sighed and shook his head.  "To tell you the truth, I don't think she'll make it."  I felt like someone was sitiing on my chest as Thorin responded, his voice cracking.

"Are you able to help her...?"  The elf spoke with the other one and shook his head.

"What she needs is a way to recover enough energy to heal herself.  However, none of us know how to do it...  I'm sorry, but all we can do is close up the wounds before she bleeds out and allow her to heal herself in her own time, if she can heal at all."  I turned towards Thorin, who hung his head as he took a deep, shaky breath.

"This is my fault..."  I shook my head as I placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"No, uncle...  I should have stopped her."  I felt tears well up in my eyes.  I, too, cared about Era.  Finally, Gandalf spoke.

"How soon will Skyrena be back on her feet?"  The elf frowned for a moment.

"I don't know...  Why?"  Gandalf went over and whispered something in the elf's ear and earned a nod.  "It's worth a try."  With that, they both started towards the door.  Thorin placed a hand on my shoulder and glanced over at Era.

"Keep an eye on her..."  I nodded.

"With my life..."  With that, he followed them out the door.