Chapter 10

Gandalf helped us free each other, and, before long, everyone was free, even Skyrena.  However, she hadn't woken up yet.  Bilbo came over as I watched Balin check on Skyrena.

"Thanks for helping me stall for time...  I'm just sorry you got hurt."  I smiled as I looked over at him.

"Don't worry about me.  I've faced worse.  Besides, I kinda brought it on myself anyways."  Thorin came over and swallowed hard.

"I guess I owe you and Skyrena an apologie..."  I waited patiently for Balin to come over as he continued.  "Are you okay?"  I nodded.

"Nothing too damaging.  I'll heal in time."  He nodded as Balin came over.

"How is she, Balin?"  Balin sighed and glanced back at Skyrena, who was stirring.

"She's got a nasty bump on her head, and she's low on energy."  I brushed past them and headed towards her, trailed by Thorin.

"What are you doing, Era?"  I swallowed hard as I checked my energy.  Realizing it wasn't enough, I removed the wooden threshing from my neck.

"I'm going to heal her..."  I focused on her energy and gave her just enough to heal herself.  Finally, her eyes fluttered open.  She looked right at me and smiled a little.

"Era...?"  I helped her sit up as I smiled down at her.

"I'm here..."

*Skyrena's Pov-

"Where had you been?"  Thorin sounded slightly concerned, but I didn't care.  I couldn't wrap my head around the strange images I know carried in my mind.  It was Era, as a young child with long black hair, resting her head on my shoulder as I carried her away.  No doubt clouded the image from my head as I realized what she did.

"You gave me some of my own energy...?"  She nodded and lowered her gaze.

"I didn't have any other source..."  Thorin looked between the two of us before sighing.

"What happened, Skyrena?"  I turned back, having completely forgotten about him.

"I came across their cave and accidentally woke one up.  By that time, it was dusk, so they chased me down.  I would have gotten away, but they swatted me into a tree, and I hit my head."  He nodded as Gandalf frowned.

"Where is their cave?"  I frowned, trying to remember.  The scent was too strong here for me to remember the trail.  I looked around, trying to remember anything I could.

"This way, I think..."  I took off into the woods, followed by the others.  Following the scent, I found what resembled as huge rabbit hole.  Looking down into it, I sniffed.  It reeked of troll.  "Here!"  Thorin and Gandalf headed in first.  There were mostly weapons and gold inside, but I still found myself shivering.  Bilbo stood beside me.

"How're you feeling, Skyrena?"  I smiled as I examined a good bow I picked up.

"Much better, thank you."  Picking up the quiver of arrows and a shiny blade, I strapped them to myself.  Thorin never allowed me to have weapons, but last night just proved how much I actually needed them as well as my ability to shift.  Soon, Thorin called out.

"Let's get out of here!"  I followed him out.  He frowned when he saw the weapons.  "Where'd you get those?"  I cluched the hilt of the blade.

"I found them inside..."  He started to protest, but I cut him off.  "I may be able to shift, but what's that to a falling blade or a club?  Besides, Era has her weapons...  Why can't I carry a few?"  He sighed and nodded.

"Alright...  Just promise me you'll be careful."  I nodded as we looked around for Era.

*Era's Pov-

Something was coming...  I could smell it coming.  I clutched the hilt of my blade as I climbed up a nearby tree.  On the ground, I saw what looked like a sleigh that was pulled by rabbits.  Frowning, I climbed back down and found myself face to face with Thorin.

"What is it, Era...?"  I was just about to answer when Dwalin started shouting.

"Something's coming!"  We all closed ranks, weapons drawn.  Just seconds later, a man dressed in brown clothing pulled up, riding the sleigh.

"Radagast...  Radagast the Brown!"  I raised an eyebrow as the two wizards began chatting like old friends.  I resheathed my sword and sat down on a rock.  Skyrena came up and sat down beside me.

"How'd you do that?"  I felt for my necklace and held it out for her to see.

"Before I went on a journey, you gave this to me.  You'd put some of your own energy in it, saying that it was so you could be with me at all times.  All I did was focus on your energy, extract a small amount of it, and gave it to you so that you'd heal."  She shook her head a little.

"You shouldn't have done that...  That's all you have of the Skyrena you remember.  You should have kept that energy."  I frowned at her as I stared her down.

"It's going to waste, though...  It's just sitting there, being left there, unused.  You needed it more than me."  She smiled slightly as she nodded.

"Alright...  I guess, if that's how you feel about it."

"Skyrena!"  She sighed and reached out to grab my arm.

"I'm glad you're okay, though..."  With that, she got up and went over to Thorin, who'd just called her.  I couldn't help but smile as I looked back out towards the woods behind us.

"Pretty clever helping Bilbo play for time...  You're not hurt, are you?"  I turned and saw Fili coming towards me.

"No...  I'm fine."  He sat down beside me and smiled.

"Good...  Because, otherwise, I think I'd be destroying some stone trolls."  I laughed a little as I shook my head.

"But, they're not going to be eating anyone any time soon."  He shrugged.

"If they hurt you, I wouldn't want any reminder whatsoever."  I turned away, trying to cover my blush.  I couldn't believe that he'd be willing to avenge me over something so petty.  He placed a hand on my shoulder, only to make me wince.  As I cringed away a little, he frowned.  "They did hurt you..."  I looked down and saw quiet the scratch on my arm.

"Must have been from when I hit the tree..."  He looked over at Balin and nodded.

"Balin, Era's hurt..."  I rolled my eyes as everyone turned towards us.

"Really, I'm sure it's nothing..."  Balin frowned as he examined my shoulder.

"Ummm..."  He bit his lip.  "There's a sliver stuck in your arm the size of a dagger, lass."  I frowned as I looked at my arm.

"So there is...  You think you can get it out?"  Thorin, Fili, Kili, and Skyrena exchanged looks as Balin shrugged.

"I might..."  He dug his fingers into my arm and grabbed the piece.  "This may hurt a lot, Era...  Ready?"  I nodded as I felt myself tense.  With a sharp jerk, he pulled it free.  I let out a slight grunt and blinked back a few tears.  "Got it..."