Chapter 47

*Skyrena's Pov-

I frowned as I sniffed the air.  Something didn't smell right, and everything felt off.  I jumped off as soon as we reached the foggy summit of the ruins.  All was silent, and there was no sign of any Orcs.

"There's nothing here!"  I silently wished that Dwalin would be quiet, sensing a trap.  I drew my daggers and looked around.  Thorin stood beside me as I shook my head.

"We have to find Era."  Suddenly, I sensed movement.  Poising to attack, I watched as a dark figure approached from the fog.  As soon as it came into sight, it collapsed before me, bleeding and breathing heavily.  "Era..."

*Era's Pov-

"They saw you coming and pulled back...  I tried to track him down, but..."  I swallowed hard as I grasped at the cut on my side.  "They're everywhere, waiting to strike..."  Fili fell to his knees beside me, trying to move my hand from my side.  "We have to get out of here."  Skyrena and Thorin exchanged looks as Fili turned to Skyrena.

"She's hurt, Skyrena...  She's bleeding out quickly."  Skyrena knelt down beside me as Thorin looked around.

"Fili, Kili...  Scout out and find Azog."  I tried to leap to my feet, but Skyrena held me back, so I resorted to yelling.

"No!  That's the last thing we need right now.  We should all stick together..."  Fili and Kili stood by, waiting for Thorin's final word.  Finally, he nodded.

"Very well then..."  He turned to Fili and Kili.  "Stay close."  Soon after, Skyrena had healed my side.  I stood up, feeling my energy drain from the necklace in order to help me stand.  She smiled at me.

"We're going to get through this, Era...  I promise."

*Skyrena's Pov-

Thorin turned to Fili, Kili, and Dwalin as I helped Era stay on her feet.

"If we are attacked, get them out of here."  They nodded as I turned to Thorin.  Era let out a squeak of protest, but I spoke first.

"Excuse me?"  Thorin turned to face me.

"I'm not risking losing you, Skyrena, or Era for that matter, even if she shouldn't be here to begin with.  If we are attacked, I want you both to get out of here."  I huffed as I realized the cloudy look was completely gone, and a saddening tenderness filled his eyes.  Nodding, I smiled.

"Very well, my king."  We continued looking around, waiting to see what would happen.  Hearing a menacing roar, I turned and gasped.  "Thorin!"  Arzog, with a group of Orcs behind him, stood at the top of one of the ruins, glaring down at us.

"Here, the line of Durin ends!  First, the boy!  Then, the brother!  Then, I will kill you, Thorin Oakenshield."  He hesitated as his gaze landed on Era and I.  "Then, I will take back what should be mine!"  Thorin started to shout back, but Era screamed.

"Father!"  Already, Orcs were surrounding us.  Above our heads, Azog sounded surprised.

"Father...?"  Thorin was already fighting off Orcs.  He turned back towards Fili, Kili, and Dwalin.

"Get them out of here!"  Fili nodded and caught Era's arm before she start up the ruins towards Azog.

*Era's Pov-

I could finally stand on my own, but it wasn't enough.  I had to kill Azog before he killed Thorin.  I yelled and pounded my fists into Fili's chest as he pulled me away from the fight.

"Let go of me now!  He needs me!"  Fili shook his head as Dwalin lead the way and Kili helped Skyrena along.

"No!  We can't lose you!"  I struggled, getting nowhere in my struggle.

"But, if I don't help him, we'll lose Thorin!"  He froze and looked at me.  Finally, he let me go.

"Go, and be careful, Era."  I nodded and looked at Skyrena, Dwalin, and Kili before turning back to Fili.

"You four get out of here as soon as possible.  Keep away from here.  Stay among the dwarves down below."  They nodded and started off.  As soon as they were gone, I started back towards Thorin and the upcoming Orcs.

*Thorin's Pov-

As I sliced and diced at the Orcs, I heard a shout.

"Father!"  I turned and saw Era coming towards me, killing Orcs faster than they could reach her.  I rolled my eyes and started towards her, slicing through Orcs until I reached her.

"What are you doing?  You have to get out of here!"  She shook her head as she ducked and beheaded an attacking Orc.

"I can't!  You'll be killed!  I have to get to Azog..."  I shook my head.

"No, it's too dangerous!"  She was as stubborn as Skyrena is during a fight, but I knew I had to stop her before she got hurt.  She shook her head at my protest.

"Then I'm staying here, with you!  I already sent the others away..."  I was just about to respond when I heard a scream.

*Skyrena's Pov-

We were attacked left and right by Orcs, so I chose to shift, but something was wrong.  Instead of changing forms when I doubled over, I let out a blood-curling scream.  Dwalin froze when he heard it.

"Skyrena?  What's wrong?"  I shook my head as Fili and Kili caught my arms and helped me stand.\

"I don't know..."  I tried again, but I couldn't claim the form.  "I...  I can't shift!"  Dwalin frowned.

"Check your energy!"  I did, finding several fires still buring inside my storage.  I shook my head.

"I have energy, but I can't shift."  I fought back the panic that rose in my chest.  "I just can't..."  He turned to Fili and Kili.

"Get her out of here!"  I swallowed hard as I looked up at him.

"What about you?"  He lifted his blade with a grim look on his face.

"My king requires my services..."  With that, he was batted away by an Orc.

I gasped as Dwalin was flung aside as the Orcs came towards me.  I turned back and saw Fili and Kili fighting off the upcoming Orcs.  Kili caught my arm as Fili sliced through Orcs.

"Let's go, now!"  I pulled free and shook my head at them.

"You two get to safety.  I'm not leaving Thorin or Era!"  Fili nodded briefly.

"Make sure she's safe, please..."  With that, they were gone.