Chapter 46

*Era's Pov-

I scaled the side of the waterfall, saving the energy for when I actually may need to shift.  Only 10 more feet, and I'm at the top.  I felt my grip loosen as my muscles creamed, but the adrenaline and the thought of Azog killing Father, Fili, and Kili gave me the strength to continue.  As soon as I reached the top, I realized that Azog and his troop of Orcs were already there, commanding their army.  I drew my bow and prepared to strike, but a rumble caught my attention.

It was coming from Erebor...

*Skyrena's Pov-

Between avoiding the elves and killing the Orcs, I felt my energy draining quickly.  If I tried to shift, I couldn't hold the form for long, so I fought with my sword.  Around me, blades collided as mine sank into the head of one Orc while another knocked me off my feet.

As he raised his blade to my throat, I heard a huge crash.  Realizing the Orc was distracted by it, I stabbed him with one of my daggers and rolled to my feet, searching for the source of the crashing sound.  Seeing the wall at Erabor falling, I realized that Thorin was on his way.  I smiled as I saw him come running, followed by the others.

Hearing a roar, I turned and found myself face to face with an Orc.  Slicing at him, I saw another coming.  Without thinking, I leaped into the air and let them run each other through as I took off.

*Era's Pov-

No...  No, Thorin couldn't be fighting!  Skyrena couldn't stop him?  I heaved a deep sigh and fired my arrow, hoping to hit Azog, but it hit the Orc next to him.  He turned and looked right at me.

"What have we here?"  I slung my bow over my shoulder and drew the twin blades as the Orcs approached me.

If I die, it would be while killing Azog myself...

*Thorin's Pov-

Already, I was being overwhelmed by Orcs.  I roared in anger, trying to cut through them and look for Skyrena at the same time.  I felt as though I owed her an apology.  However, there were too many Orcs.

"Hold on, lad!"  I turned and saw Dain cut through some Orcs, coming my way.  Hearing a familiar shout, I turned to the other side and saw Skyrena battling an Orc while another snuck up behind her.  Drawing my bow, I shot the one behind her in the head and watched as she turned in surprise and looked at me.  Slicing through yet another Orc, I reached her as Dain reached me.

*Skyrena's Pov-

"Skyrena..."  I ducked as he swung his sword at an Orc on my left.  "I'm so sorry..."  Okay, this was the Thorin I knew.  Always treating a fight like it was nothing...  I drew my bow and shot an Orc in the chest before it reached us.  "I should have listened...  Duck!"  I did more than that.  Dropping to the ground, I kicked out, knocking the Orc off its feet and watched Thorin behead it.  Standing, I threw my arm back and stabbed an Orc.

"I'm sorry, too.  I should have known this would have happened."  He shook his head as he shot the Orc who grabbed me from behind.  Ignoring the splatter of blood on my face, I fired an arrow at yet another approaching Orc.  He beheaded yet another Orc, buying us some time before the next round.

"I'm the one who wouldn't listen.  You were doing what any good wife would have done.  I'm sorry I caused this!"  Dain roared in laughter.

"Can you guys talk later?  We kinda have one heck of a problem here..."  I nodded and surveyed the battlefield.  Looking to the ruins, I smirked.

"I think I know where Era is..."  Thorin frowned and nodded.  I pointed to the tallest ruin.  "There."  At the top stood Arzog, commanding his army.  A smaller, dark shape fought off any Orc who came near her, trying to get to Azog.  Thorin smiled as he rested a hand on my shoulder.

"She needs us, Skyrena."  He raced off to find Dwalin, Filli, and Killi.  Dain smiled at me as he stabbed an Orc.

"I have a feeling we're going to get along just fine, my lady."  I laughed and climbed on the boar that Thorin rode up on.  I cringed as my stomach clenched, making Thorin frown.

"You alright?"  I nodded, and we took off.

*Era's Pov-

I sliced and stabbed Orc after Orc, but I didn't seem to be getting anywhere.  Thinking quickly, I shifted into a much smaller dragon than Smaug had been and lit the ruins on fire, trying to eliminate the approaching Orcs.  Before I could lose more than a portion of my energy, I shifted back into a dwarf and continued to fight off the Orcs.  However, Azog kept his distance.

"Take her alive!  I want that shapeshifter alive!"  I roared as some Orcs appeared with chains that looked like the ones that the goblins used in the Misty Mountains.

One slung a chain across and over my shoulder to another, who tugged it, making me stumble a little.  I ducked underneath it, freeing myself before I fell.  Suddenly, Azog started shouting to his troop.

"They're coming!  Prepare!"  Without making a sound, every Orc disappeared into the ruins, and I knew something bad was going to happen.

*Bilbo's Pov-

"There's Thorin!"  Gandalf looked up and squinted as he smiled.

"He's got Skyrena, Filli, Killi, and Dwalin with him...  His best fighters..."  He looked up the ledge that they were riding up.  "They're going to take out Arzog!  And, Era's up there, too."  I jumped slightly at the voice behind me.

"They won't get far..."  I turned and saw two elves behind us.  "Arzog has another battlion coming.  They're walking into a trap."  I turned back and shook my head.

"That's impossible!  Era's up there already!"  He shook his head, making my heart sink.  "We have to warn them!  Skyrena's up there!"  The blond one clenched his fists.

"Tauriel and I will go!"  Before anyone could say anything else, they both took off.  I turned to Gandalf.

"I have to warn them!"  Gandalf shook his head.

"No, Bilbo.  Let the elves handle this."  Turning to face an attacking Orc, I slipped on the ring I found in the goblin caves and started off.  Skyrena, Era, and Thorin needed me.