Chapter 40

*Era's Pov-

I woke early the next morning to Skyrena knocking on my door.

"Era...?"  Beside her stood Bilbo.  I swallowed hard as I glanced between the two of them, remembering what all was going on.  "It's time."  I nodded and allowed Skyrena to enter.  She held up a dark green dress for me to see.  "It was the nicest I could find."  I nodded and took the dress.

"I don't think I can do this..."  I felt as though my stomach had dropped off the face of the earth.  Skyrena smiled a little as she helped me dress.

"Just remember our plan, okay?"  I turned and looked over at her.

"Are you planning to actually marry Thorin?"  She lowered her gaze and nodded as she blushed.

"I've wanted to for years, and it may help him recover his reasoning."  I nodded as I brushed my hair into a long, dark braid that hung down my back.

"I suppose it's best for us all."  With that, I turned to face her.  "I'm ready..."  She smiled as she opened the door and nodded at Bilbo.

"Let's go..."

*Skyrena's Pov-

We started down the halls, Bilbo lead us to the throne room.  As soon as the doors opened, I gasped.  The wall was larger, but there was a large table filled with what food they gathered.  Nearby, all the dwarves chatted, waiting for the ceremony.  Thorin sat on his throne.  Bilbo entered first, catching Thorin's attention.

"Where are they, Master Baggins?"  Before Bilbo could respond, I spoke.

"Here I am..."  Era stood beside me, trembling, as he stood and approached us, followed by Fili.

"Come in, then, and let's begin."  I swallowed hard and entered the throne room.  Era followed closely behind, turning pale with each step.  Balin stood by the throne as Thorin linked his arm with mine and lead me to the throne.  Fili stood opposite of Era, waiting for his turn.  Balin smiled as he spoke.

"We are all gathered here today to witness the union of Thorin Oakenshield and Skyrena of the Woods.  If anyone objects, speak now or forever hold your peace."  After a brief silence, he continued, turning to Thorin.  "Do you, Thorin, son of Thrain, take Skyrena to be your lawfully wedded wife for as long as you both shall live?"  Thorin smiled at me as he answered.

"I do."  Balin nodded and turned to me.

"Do you, Skyrena, daughter of Middle Earth, take Thorin to be your lawfully wedded husband for as long as you both shall live?"  I tried not to swallow hard as I spoke.

"I do."  Balin looked to the others.

"Do you, dwarves of Erabor, accept Skyrena as your queen until death takes her from us?"  Several "Aye"s filled the room.  Even Era answered.  He motioned forward.  "You may present your symbols of approval."  One by one, starting with Filli and Killi, Thorin heirs, each of the dwarves presented a woven, leather band to me.  Each one were different shades of brown, but they all were beautiful.  I smiled and thanked each of them.  Era's gift was a flower she'd found outisde.  Balin turned to me.  "Thorin himself will now present his gift."  Thorin pulled out a small, wooden bird that hung on a silver chain.

"With this wooden threshing bird, I present a reminder of all our travels together."  I turned around as he placed it around my neck.  "Made from the wood of my oaken branch, this threashing represents the last of our troubles and the hope in our futures."  Balin smiled and nodded at both of us.

"I now pronounce you man and wife... king and queen."  The others began to cheer as Balin turned to Fili and Era.  "Come now and be united."

*Era's Pov-

I swallowed hard as Fili linked his arm in mine and lead me towards the throne.  Skyrena nodded encouragingly at me as Thorin beamed at us both.  I glanced at Fili, who nodded slightly when I noticed his gaze was on me.

It wasn't until I got up the steps to Thorin's throne that I realized I was holding my breath.  As I let out a soft, shaky breath, I noticed a strange scent.  Immediately, I froze and started looking around.  All around me, everyone stared back, looking confused and concerned.  Skyrena approached me and rested a hand on my shoulder.

"Era...?"  My eyes wandered towards the wall that stood as our gate.  "Era, what's wrong?"  Finally, I found my voice.

"Do you smell that?"  I pulled my arm free from Fili's and started towards the wall.  Skyrena frowned as it hit her.

"Yeah, actually, I do..."  We both raced for the wall, faster than the dwarves could move, and climbed to the top.  I froze as my stomach caught in my throat.

"Oh, no..."  Below us stood two armies: one of men, and one of elves.  I swallowed hard as Thorin stood between Skyrena and I, followed by Fili, who stood on my right.

"What's wrong?"  I pointed to the ruins.

"That..."  He turned and saw the elves and humans.  He looked down to the others.  "Everyone up here, now!"  Turing back, he faced the gathering as he placed a hand on my shoulder.  "Good eye...  Or nose?"  I swallowed hard.

"The elves...  They're from Mirkwood."  He glared at the lines as I looked down.  "There's a horseman coming...  It's Bard."  He looked down and watched Bard approach the wall as the others whispered amongst themselves.

"Hello up there!  I wish to speak to Thorin Oakenshield!"  Thorin called down.

"I am Thorin, son of Thrain, known as Thorin Oakenshield.  What is your business?"  Bard called back.

"We men of Lake Town wish to collect what you promised us.  We won't take that much, but we need some to rebuild our lives!"  Thorin shook his head.

"What claim do you have to the treasure of Erabor?  I'll give you none!"  Bard searched each face before responding.

"Skyrena?  Era?  Are you up there?"  Skyrena leaned forward and shouted back.

"Aye, we are."  Bard extended both hands in surrender.

"Please, tell Thorin how we killed the dragon.  Tell him how I saved you from being lost among the wreckage of Lake Town!  Please, reason with him!"  Thorin yelled angrily.

"What right do you have to call on the queen of Erabor?  I am the king!  I am the one who gets the final answer!"  I watched Skyrena turn to Thorin.

"Thorin, please just hear him out."  Bard called out from below.

"May we strike a bargain?"