Chapter 12

*Thorin's Pov-

Era, Fili, and Kili were safe.  I jumped down and looked back up at where Skyrena was fighting to protect us.  Nearby, Kili was helping Fili with Era, who was bruised and bloodied.  Immediately, I felt as though someone tore my heart.  Since Era was my future daughter, I knew I wouldn't be able to help it when I felt the need to protect her, but Skyrena was my future wife.  I had to do something.

"Skyrena!"  I watched her fall as an arrow embedded into her shoulder.  I started up the wall, but Gandalf stopped me as a dead Orc fell down the hole.  I picked up the arrow and examined it.  "Elves..."  I wanted to go up there and get Skyrena, but Gandalf held his grip on my shoulder.

"I'm sure she'll be just fine, Thorin."  One of my men yelled, claiming to see an opening.  As I started towards it, I saw Era, who was limping along with Fili's help.  I stopped them both and looked her up and down.

"Are you okay, Era?"  She lifted her head and looked at me, forcing a smile.

"Never better..."  She grimaced with each step as we started on our way down the path.  I stayed close to her, hoping she and Skyrena would be okay.

*Era's Pov-

"Maybe I should carry you..."  I raised an eyebrow at Fili, who was shifting his grip around my waist.  "You're limping even worse than when we started."  Already, we were on a rocky ledge.  I shook my head and leaned away from him a little.

"No, Fili...  I'm fine.  Really..."  I smiled a little when I noticed a waterfall.  "Look, I'll wash myself up a little here real quick and be perfectly capable of walking myself."  Thorin nodded as he looked towards the others.

"We need to rest...  We're all tired, and Era's wounded."  Gandalf shook his head.

"Just a little ways further.  We're almost at the spot I was going to choose for our campsite."  I sighed and nodded.

"Very well...  I can make it."  Just after one step, I stumbled and hit my knees.  Thorin, Fili, and Kili were beside me in a heartbeat.  Thorin nodded at Fili.

"Carry her..."  I felt my jaw drop.

"I can do this myself, Thorin.  I'll be fine..."  Thorin shook his head at me.

"No, Era...  You're hurt and can barely stand.  Let Fili carry you.  We'll move faster that way."  I sighed and finally agreed, realizing that I was a lot worse of than I'm used to.  Soon enough, I caught a familiar scent.

"Welcome to the Hidden Valley!  Or, in the common tongue..."  I looked out over the cliff.

"Rivendell..."  Thorin swallowed hard and nodded at Fili.

"Put her down, Fili.  We'll rest now."  With that, he approached Gandalf.

*Thorin's Pov-

"This was your plan all along?"  Gandalf didn't respond.  "We are no friend of the elves, especially after our interactions with those from Mirkwood."  Gandalf shook his head.

"You have no enemies here except that which you bring yourself.  Now, these elves prefer courtesy, so, you will leave the talking to me."  Reluctantly, I agreed.  After all, Skyrena may be here.  However, Era was my primary concern as well at the moment.

*Era's Pov-

"Hold still, lass..."  I winced in pain as Balin placed a cool, wet cloth to the cut on my forehead.  Thorin approached us and knelt down beside me.

"How is she, Balin?"  The older dwarf bit his lip and gazed over at Thorin.

"She's losing a lot of blood.  Some of the cuts are merely scratches, but the rest, especially the bites, are too deep.  She needs some real medical attention."  He looked over at me before nodding at Fili, his eye carrying a tenderness in them I've only seen when he looks at Skyrena.

"Let's go, Fili.  Pick her up.  We'll tend to her in Rivendell."  With that, we started down the cliffs towards the grand city below us.  Within a hour, we had finally reached the gates.  However, by that time, I could barely lift my head from its resting place on Fili's shoulder.

"Mi frandi!"  A strange voice greeted us as we came to a stop.  I listened as Gandalf and the new voice exchanged greetings and spoke briefly.

"I've come to see Lord Elrond."

"My lord, Elrond, is not here."

"He's not...?  Where is he?"  With that, I heard horns and horses approaching.  Beneath me, I felt Fili tense while Thorin called out.

"Close ranks!  Fili, get back!"  I listened to the sound of hooves around us until all seemed pretty quiet.  Then, I heard a vaguely familiar voice.

"Gandalf..."  It sounded like Lord Elrond.  I wanted to leap for joy, but I couldn't even open my eyes anymore.  "Strange to have found a pack of Orcs so close to our...  Who's your friend?"  I felt Fili's grip shift a little as Gandalf responded.

"This is Era, and she's wounded badly."  I felt a second set of hands touch my sore side, but I couldn't cringe.  Beneath me, Fili pulled away, tightening his grip on me.  I groaned in pain, too weak to do anything else.  "Thorin, she needs their help."

*Thorin's Pov-

I looked between Skyrena's limp form being carried up the stairs to Era, who was motionless in Fili's arms.  The elf who'd greeted us was reaching for her, but Fili had pulled back, just out of reach.  I looked over at Balin, who nodded.

"Only if one of us can go with her."  There was no way I was going to let Skyrena and Era out of my sight at the same time.  Gandalf was just about to protest when the elf responded.

"Of course one of you is welcome to accompany both of your companions, but I thought I might offer you some rest while we cared for your companions."  I looked over at Fili, who nodded.

"I'll go with her."  Finally, I nodded.

"Very well."  I watched as Era was transferred into the hands of the first elf and turned back to Gandalf and the second elf.  "Do you think they both will be okay?"  The elf smiled as Fili, Era, and the elf disappeared into the palace.

"I'm not quiet sure about your second friend, but the shapeshifter will be fine.  She just needs some rest."  I swallowed hard.  If Era died, I felt as though it would be my fault for not looking after her like I had been looking after Skyrena.