Chapter 17

After I got past the shock of falling, I noticed Skyrena had shifted into a huge bird and caught me.  I noticed that the others were falling as well.  Nearby, some goblins hung from ropes, which seemed to have caused the ground to open up below our feet.  I followed the others down and landed beside them when they crashed.  Fili and Thorin stood and approached me.  Thorin caught Skyrena before she fell over, weary from helping me reach the ground safely.

"Are you alright?"  I nodded as I examined the walls.

"We have to get out of here...  There's goblins!"  As soon as those words left my mouth, we were swarmed by the goblins.

I thought about shifting, but there were too many, and the warning look from Thorin told me not to even think about it.  Besides, I didn't have close to enough energy to shift anyways.  Soon, several grabbed each of us and started dragging us through their caves.  Fili stayed by my side, no matter what.  Soon enough, we'd reached what resembled a throne room.  A huge, fat goblin, wearing a crown, coughed violently and climbed down from his perch.

"Who dares to trespass in my kingdom?  Spies?  Thieves?  Assassins?"  One of the goblins close to me stepped forward.

"Dwarves, sir.  Found them on the front porch!"  I watched the goblins carefully as they nudged us forward.

"Dwarves?  Search them!"  I felt the goblins' thieving hands reach for me and accidentally growled.  One screeched at me, baring his teeth.  Another reached for my neck and grabbed the wooden threshing, attempting to tear it from around my neck.  When the chain refused to break, he pushed me forward, causing me to stumble and fall right before the feet of ths goblin king.  "What have we here?"  The goblin bowed his head.

"She wears a wooden bird around her neck, my lord...  The chain is made from the same enchanted chains used of shapeshifters and skin changers."  The king grabbed me by the arm and lifted me into the air.

"Where did you get the necklace, dwarf?"  I clamped my mouth shut, trying to avoid screaming in pain as he held me by one arm, but didn't say anything.  "Are you a shapeshifter?"  Around us, everyone froze.  One of the goblins came forward, keeping his gaze down.

"I think there's two, my lord..."  He held up a silver Celtic knot on a silver chain.  The king dropped me and took the necklace from the goblin.

"Oh...?"  He looked at the others.  "Which of you would that be?"  I gulped and kept my eyes on him as Skyrena was pushed forward.  "Ah, it's you."  I bowed my head, knowing he would soon recognize Thorin, as Skyrena responded.

"I found it, sir.  I am no shapeshifter."  He laughed and shook his head.

"Prove it then..."  He turned towards me and grabbed my arm again.  This time, he held me over the edge of the ledge.  "Catch her before she hits the rocks below..."  With that, he dropped me.

As I fell, I tried to shift, but my energy was too low.  I swallowed hard and hoped that Skyrena wasn't hurt.  Before long, something caught my arm.  I looked up and saw Skyrena, who was a bird again, flying me back up to the ledge.  As soon as we reached the ledge, we both collapsed in exhaustion.  The goblin king leered at both of us.

"One's too weary to shift..."  He smirked as he turned back to the others.  "The only dwarf who travels with a shapeshifter in his midst is none other than Thorin Oakenshield."  He grabbed me by my hair and yanked me to my feet, causing me to cry out.  "Well, Thorin?  Where are you?"  I whimpered as his grip tightened.  Thorin stepped forward.

"Here I am...  Now, let her go."  The goblin threw me at Thorin's feet and sneered at the both of us.

"What luck...  I thought I'd only get the reward for the shapeshifter's capture."  Several goblins pulled me to my feet as the goblin smirked at Thorin.  "I know someone who would pay a pretty price for your head.  You know who?"  When Thorin didn't respond, the king seemed to get annoyed.  "The pale Orc, astride the white warg..."  Thorin trembled angerly as the goblins threw me back towards Skyrena.

"Arzog the Defiler is dead...  He died in battle long ago!"  The goblin king smirked.

"So, you think his defiling days are over..."  He turned back and looked at Skyrena and I.  "I really wonder how much the pale Orc will pay for two shapeshifters."  He turned to one of the goblins and smiled.  "Send word to the pale Orc.  Tell him I have found his prizes and something else that may interest him."  As the goblin took off, he turned to face the others.  "As for the rest of you, I'm afraid you'll have to die."  He nodded to some goblins, who took off immediately.

I looked over at Fili, who was watching me as the goblins searched him for weapons.  With the exception of my necklace, I only had my bow, my quiver, and my blade.  My daggers had disappeared a while ago...  Instead of searching us, the goblins restrained Skyrena and I, pinning our arms behind our back.  The rest were working on the dwarves.  I bit my lip in order to prevent a single sound from escaping me.  Soon, the chains were brought in.  The king smirked at me as he lifted me by one arm.

"I believe you will wanted unharmed, my dear.  So, you get a front row seat."  He threw me down beside the throne.

Before I could lift my head, the goblins set to work chaining me to the throne.  I tugged away best I could, but the shackles were on my wrists before long.  He picked up Skyrena and placed her down beside me.  Soon enough, she was chained as well.  However, she shifted, trying to free herself.  However, she just couldn't.  I swallowed hard as I shook my head and rested a hand on her arm.

"Save your energy...  You'll need it."