Chapter 29

The others were argueing about Bard's payment, so no one was looking at Fili or I as we cleaned Kili's wound and dressed it.  Suddenly, they all went dead silent.  I frowned and stood up.  We could see the mountain perfectly, and Lake Town was just ahead.  Bard approached Balin and Thorin.

"Give me the money now."  Thorin started to argue, but Bard shook his head.  "If you value your lives, you'll pay me now."  Balin gave him the money without saying a word.  Doing a head count, Bard shook his head.  "There's 16 of you and only 15 barrels, but one of the barrels is damaged.  I can't take it into Lake Town."  Thorin around at us.

"Skyrena and Era can shift into something small and ride in someone's pocket..."  I looked around and saw everyone looking at both of us expectantly.  I sighed and shook my head.

"How small?"  Thorin shrugged.

"About as small as a mouse."  I turned towards Skyrena, who was watching me.

"Who's pocket would we be riding in?"  Thorin looked around before responding.

"You may ride in mine, unless someone objects..."  Fili stepped up.

"Let Era ride in my pocket.  That way, if something happens, we're sure they'll both be alright."  Thorin nodded.

"Very well..."  I swallowed hard and closed my eyes, focusing on the form of a mouse.

Soon, I realized I was on all fours.  Opening my eyes, I saw everyone had grown significantly.  Fili knelt down and held out his hand as Thorin did the same for Skyrena.  Trembling, I climbed on, already thinking that this was a bad idea.  Fili got up, careful not to hurt me, and smiled at me as he held me up for the others to see.  Thorin nodded at him, cupping Skyrena in his hand.

"Tuck her in your shirt pocket very carefully and be on your guard."  Fili nodded as he brought me to his shirt pocket.  "We'll let them know when they can shift back."  I squeaked in response as he gently tucked me into his chest pocket.

At first, the sound of his heartbeat was deafening, but I soon found it a little comforting.  I could feel his every movement as he seemed to crawl into the barrel.  He patted the pocket gently, as though feeling for me, and whispered.

"You ready?"  I squeaked, hoping I sounded ready.  Fili chuckled a little and cupped his hand around the pocket.  "We'll be alright, Era.  I promise..."

*Thorin's Pov-

Both Skyrena and Era were both safe and well protected.  They were so tiny that, when I watched Fili up Era up, I thought he might drop or hurt her.  Now that Skyrena was safe in my pocket and Era in Fili's, I felt less worried about her and more focused on our "smuggler."  Bilbo was the only one who could see him and was giving us feedback.

"He's talking to someone...  He just pointed at us..."  I patted the pocket where Skyrena was hiding, trying to reassure myself.  "Now...  They're shaking hands!"  I tensed, ready for an ambush when I heard the creaking of some sort of machinery.  Suddenly, we were all being buried by fish!

I didn't dare move, scared that I might hurt Skyrena, as we rode along quietly.  After what seemed like forever, I listened to Bard talk with some men.  At first, it seemed like things were going smoothly, but, then, I heard something, or somethings, splash into the water.  They were emptying the barrels.  I cupped Skyrena's trembling form in my hand and pulled her out of my pocket.

"Be ready to shift back..."  My thoughts were on Era as Skyrena nuzzled my thumb, but she was trembling a lot worse now, which worried me even more.  I heard a shout and the splashing stopped.  I ran my thumb down Skyrena's form, trying to comfort both of us as we waited to be either discovered or dumped into the lake.  Soon, I realized we were sailing again.  I heaved a sigh and stroked Skyrena's soft fur.  "We're going to make it..."

*Fili's Pov-

Era felt like a tiny lump in my pocket, which frightened me.  What if I accidentally hurt her?  What if something bad happened?  Would I be able to protect her?

When we heard the barrels getting emptied, I froze and cupped the pocket that held Era in my hand.  Through the fabric, I could feel her trembling.  I swallowed hard and pulled her out of my pocket and stared down at her.

"I'll protect you, Era..."

*Era's Pov-

I couldn't contain my tiny squeak as Fili stroked my soft fur.  I could hear his heart pounding as though it was thunder, and I knew he meant it.  The one thing I had been trying to avoid had actually happened...  Fili had developed feelings for me.

I squeaked as it hit me.  Fili jerked, as though startled, and placed me back into his pocket.  I felt a single tear stream down my soft, furry face.  His heart raced, almost hurting my ears, but I didn't mind.  Truth was, I had feelings for him as well, but I technically didn't even exist.  Also, he'd be over 60 years older than me.

However, I couldn't stand it.  I almost wished I wasn't Thorin and Skyrena's daughter.  Then, I may have been able to be with Fili...

"Hang on, Era...  I think we're stopped."  I froze and waited for him to sigh.  "I'm climbing out..."  I felt him move and waited until he carefully took me out of his pocket.  As soon as he set me down, I shifted back and looked over at Skyrena, who'd shifted back as well and was really nervous.

"Finally!"  I knew how she felt.  As a mouse, I couldn't stop trembling in fear.  I trusted Thorin and Fili, but I was still afraid of what could have happened.  Skyrena shook her head at the smell of fish and brushed herself off.  "Not exactly my idea of fine travel..."  Thorin shrugged.

"Sorry...  It seemed to be the best option."  I remembered how Fili's heart had raced in a deafening rumble, which not only hurt my ears, but it had matched mine almost beat for beat.  I followed Bard and the others through the town, trying to stick to the shadows.  Suddenly, a young boy came running up to Bard.

"Da!  They're watching the house!"