Chapter 28

As we rode down the river, we were attacked left and right by Orcs.  I ducked down into my barrel as something flew right at me.  When I came back up, an axe was embedded in my barrel.  Before I could grab it, Fili took it hand tossed it to Kili, who started fighting off the Orcs.

"Stay down, Era!"  As I ducked down, Fili grabbed the edge of my barrel and started guiding me down the river.  Suddenly, I noticed something on the branch over my head...

"Fili!"  An Orc jumped and landed right on the tip of my barrel, tipping us both into the river.  Just before I spilt into the river, the Orc caught me by the throat and fel into the river, dragging me behind him.  Fili followed us, with Kili coming up behind him.

I found myself underwater for a moment before the Orc regained his footing.  Just as soon as he did, he stumbled again, the current pulling both of us along.  Finally, I caught his hand and attempted to free myself from his grasp.  Suddenly, his gip loosened as the river went black.  I came up coughing and trying to wipe the red water from my face.  Fili floated beside me, holding the axe up.

"Era, grab on!"  I reached out towards his barrel, but the river swept me under once again.

This time, I couldn't resurface.  Instead, I spiralled down the river, holding my breath.  Not long after I went under, I felt something wrap around my waist.  Finally, I resurfaced and found myself right next to Fili's barrel.  However, Fili was gone.  Beside me, Kili resurfaced, followed by Fili.  They both had a hold of the barrel, and Fili had his arm around my waist.

"Are you okay?"  I nodded and shivered.  Kili looked back and smiled.

"Hey, we're losing the Orcs."  I looked towards the woods around us and couldn't help but smile.  The current was pulling us all along faster than the Orcs could move.  I started to sink a little, but Fili held me up, keeping me close to him.

"We're safe, Era...  We're gonna make it!"  I smiled and noted that everyone else was okay.  Before long, the current was a lot slower.  Thorin nodded towards the shore.

"We have to get to land."  I shivered as Fili lead me to land.  Kili limped a little as he came up before he hit his knees.  Despite how cold and tired I was, I ran to his aid.  There was an arrowhead in his leg, and something smelt off about his blood.  Fili had noticed as well as Skyrena and Bofur.

"Kili's wounded..."  Thorin looked back at us before shaking his head.

"We have to leave soon!  Orcs'll be here in an hour."  I shuddered and glanced between Fili and Kili, who both looked upset.  I stood up and approached Thorin.

"We have to bind his leg and tend to him soon, or he'll die, Thorin."  He rested a hand on my shoulder and nodded.

"Bind it quickly.  You may tend to it when we're safe..."  I nodded and took off towards Kili.  Binding his leg quickly, I frowned and froze as I sensed someone behind us.  Before I could say a word, I saw a bowman.

Skyrena leaped to her feet and shifted into a wolf, standing between Killi and the bowman.  When the bowman fired at us, Thorin was there, deflecting it before I could take so much as one step.  Ori started to throw something at him, but the bowman's shot sent the rock flying from Ori's hand.  Finally, the bowman spoke.

"Anyone else?"  I growled softly at him, but I didn't move.  Whoever this was, I didn't like him.  His scent gave away that he was human, but that's not what bothered me.  He'd threatened my companions, and I didn't like it.  As Skyrena shifted back to her dwarf form, the bowman frowned.  "Who and what are you?"  I narrowed my eyes and crossed my arms as I answered, ready to defend Skyrena.

"What's it to you?"  He turned and frowned at me.

"What's it to you, dwarf?"  I stared him down as Balin spoke up.

"Sir, is that your boat?"  The bowman turned from me to face Balin.  I frowned as they started to talk.  Not even 5 minutes ago, this guy was on the verge of killing us all, but, now, he was holding a casual conversation with Balin.  Finally, Balin had convinced the bowman, called Bard, to smuggle us into Lake Town.  However, the human was still very cautious about Skyrena and I.

"How do I know they won't hurt anyone?"  I started to protest, but Thorin spoke over me.

"I swear upon my honor that neither of my companions are a threat."  Bard frowned as he looked between the two of us.  I gulped and looked up at him.

"I promise that I won't harm anyone...  I give you my word."  He heaved a sigh and shook his head as Skyrena promised the same thing.

"I believe you,... surprisingly."  I smiled up at him as he motioned towards the boat.  "All aboard."  I followed Thorin onto the boat and helped Killi sit down.  The strange scent was stronger than ever, but I decided not to worry him.  I looked over at Bard.

"Do you happen to have anything we can use as bandages?"  Bard tossed me an old, worn out cloak that smelled like fish.  I took it and set to work immediately as we set sail.  Filli hovered nearby, watching me, as Thorin spoke with Dwalin in a soft voice.

"How do we know we can trust him?"  Thorin glanced at Bard.

"We can't."  I gulped and looked down at Killi's leg as I bound it.  Trying not to slash the person behind me, I jumped when I felt a hand on my shoulder.  It was Filli.  He smiled down at me as I tried to catch my breath.  I sighed in relief as I shook my head at him.

"Are you trying to scare me?"  He didn't once crack a smile.

"Are you hurt?"  I shook my head.  "I can't believe...  I just..."  He sighed as Kili spoke.

"He lost it when the Orc dragged you under."  I swallowed hard and forced a smile for the both of them.

"I'm alright, thanks to the both of you."  I turned to face Kili.  "And, I promise to make sure you're alright as well..."