Chapter 30

"Into the lake, all of you...  Follow us below the docks."  I watched everyone hesitate for a moment before Skyrena jumped in.  Relucantly, I jumped in after her.  The water was cold, but it was better than being caught now.  Thorin and the rest followed and ducked under the docks.  I watched Bard and the boy travel over our heads.

"This way..."  I lead them, along with Thorin and Skyrena, under the docks down the same path Bard took.  Finally, I saw them enter a house.

"Over there..."  Thorin pointed at the lower part of the building.  I followed him across and over to what resembled the outhouse.  Bard's son, Bain, came down and saw us in the water below.  Helping me up, he instructed us to head upstairs.  As soon as we were all upstairs, Bard gave us all cloaks and dry clothes.  Thorin watched the window.

"A windlance..."  I came over and looked out.

Sure enough, there was a windlance on the top of the highest building in Lake Town.  Looking back at Thorin, I saw the look of sadness.  I understood how sad he must have felt as Balin explained to Bilbo about it.  I thought about how I'd have felt if I had been able to see the gardens in Rivendell, where I'd met Boromir and realized how sad it must have made the dwarves who'd been there when Smaug took Erabor.

Soon enough, Bard came back with our weapons.  I picked up a harpoon and tested its sharpness.  It hurt, but the blade wasn't sharp enough to pierce my skin and produce blood.  I set it back down and backed away, my mind racing.  What were we going to do?  Soon, everyone was argueing.  I turned and saw Bard leave.  I frowned and approached Bain.

"Where's he going?"  Bain shrugged.  I turned back to the dwarves, who were still argueing.  The only other person who was quiet up till then was Skyrena, who caught my gaze and nodded before yelling.

"Enough!"  Everyone froze and turned to face her.  I swallowed as she continued.  "There is no point in fighting amongst ourselves.  We're here for one purpose and one purpose only."  Thorin nodded and smiled at her.

"That's right...  Follow me!"  He started back down the stairs.  I frowned and took off after him.

"Thorin?  Where are you going?"  He turned and smiled at me.

"We are going to find some real weapons so we can reclaim our homeland."  The way he said it made me feel like I've always been a dwarf in his company, not a shapeshifter who's been tagging along and claiming to be his daughter.  I really started to feel like I really belonged in his company.  I smiled and nodded.

"Very well."  I followed him through Lake Town.  The other's came up behind us, and Skyrena pulled up beside me.

"Era, I was just wondering..."  She sighed and shook her head.  "Are you still interested in leaving once this adventure is over?"  I sighed and glanced around, making sure no one could hear us.

"Yes, but I don't plan on leaving until I'm sure everyone is safe."  She smiled and caught my arm.

"Very well then..."

It was dark by the time we found the armory.  Thorin reminded us for the hundreth time what we were doing: get in, take some weapons, and head for the mountain.  Skyrena and I flew in as a bird and checked out the room.  When we was sure no one was there, I whistled out and shifted back to motion to the dwarves below.  Thorin and the others climbed in and we started arming ourselves.  I reached out for a bow, but Thorin stopped me.

"You're not going into the mountain with us, Era.  You'll have to wait outside and make sure Skyrena stays out of trouble."  I dropped my jaw and stared at him.

"But..."  He shook his head.

"I'm not risking you or Skyrena for Erabor.  You both have been a huge help so far, but you're not going in until it's safe."  I hung my head.

"Fine, Thorin."  I knew he was as worried as I was, but there was no reason to worry him more and risk my own skin.  Skyrena came up and frowned.

"What's going on?"  Thorin turned to her and nodded at her.

"I promise you that I personally will come out and tell you when it's safe, but you're not coming into Erabor until Smaug is dead.  I want you to stay behind with Era..."  He lowered his voice a little so only the two of us could hear him.  "When Erabor is ours once again...  I want you to marry me, Skyrena."  I couldn't hold back a smile as Skyrena blinked, looking startled.

"What?"  Before he could respond, we heard a crash.  Killi, carrying an arm-load of weapons, had fallen down the stairs.  Thorin shouted to the others and shoved Skyrena and I behind him as the guards came.  Not long afterwards, they were leading us to the town hall.

All around us, humans were shouting.  I shuddered as the guards shoved me along, ignoring the death glares Thorin and Skyrena shot them.  Soon, we were before the town hall.  The Master came out and glared down at us.

"Who are you?"  The way he said it reminded me of the Goblin King back in the Misty Mountains.  I started to answer when Alfred, his right hand man, spoke for us.

"They are mercanaries, sir.  And a talented bunch if I ever saw 'em."  Dwalin, who stood in front of me, stepped forward.

"Hold your tongue, filth."  Everyone grew quiet as he spoke in his deep voice.  "You do not know in who's presence you're speaking in!"  He rested a hand on Thorin's shoulder.  "This is Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror...  King under the mountain!"  Thorin stepped forward and spoke out, asking for our freedom.  At first, there was a lot of arguement, but, in the end, only Bard seemed to protest.  However, he was outvoted, and the people in Lake Town welcomed us.