Chapter 14

*Thorin's Pov-

"Skyrena?  Wake up...  Please, wake up."  She stirred and opened her eyes, looking groggy.

"Thorin?"  I smiled.

"I'm here."  She groaned and tried to roll over onto her side.  Wincing, she froze and laid back on her side.  I brushed her hair from her face as she smiled weakly at me.

"I'm sorry...  I should have warned you the other night...  The Orcs...  They were watching..."  I shook my head at her and shushed her.

"It's not your fault.  I told you not to go scouting and looking for trouble."  She shook her head.

"Someone wants you dead, Thorin...  Why?"  I kissed her forehead and huffed.

"I don't know, Skyrena, but I will find out."  She looked around at her surroundings.

"Where are the others...?  Where's Era?"  I swallowed hard as I thought of what to tell her.

*Skyrena's Pov-

"Skyrena..."  He huffed and shook his head.  "Era's been wounded pretty badly.  She's lost a lot of blood.  When she gave you energy earlier today, did you receive any indication on how to do it?"  I felt my breath catch in my throat.

"How bad is she?"  He sighed and shook his head, unable to look my in the eye.

"Either she won't fully recovery for a few days, or..."  His voice cracked, but I didn't need to hear any more.  I sat up and looked around.

"I think I might now what she did.  I just need a source of energy..."  Lord Elrond nodded.

"There's a waterfall outside that may be what you need."  I stood up and followed them out to the waterfall.  Lord Elrond handed me a tiny, silver necklace.  "It was a gift from a friend a long time ago...  I think it may help."  I nodded and accepted it.  Placing it around my neck, I turned towards the waterfall and closed my eyes.

As soon as my eyes were shut, I focused on the sound of the waterfall until I could finally see it.  Taking a deep, shaky breath, I imagined it going into the necklace until a small stream of water flowed from the waterfall and into the necklace.  Finally, I opened my eyes again.  Turning to face the others, I felt refreshed as I realized I'd received some of the energy myself.

"Where's Era?"  I had to help her...

*Fili's Pov-

I watched as Thorin, Skyrena, the elf, and Gandalf poured into the room.  Standing beside Thorin, I watched as Skyrena knelt down beside Era's body and place something on her chest.

"What is she doing?"  Thorin returned my whisper.

"She's saving Era..."

*Skyrena's Pov-

Era's energy was almost completely gone.  I could sense it.  I swallowed hard as I focused on the energy from the waterfall until I could see it.  Reaching out, as soon as I touched it, it seemed to wrap around me, accommodating my hand.  I pressed my hand to Era's forehead and allowed the energy to flow into her.

Oh please let her be okay...  Please, please...  I opened my eyes as soon as the energy had completely left my hand.  Era's breath was a little heavier than before, but it was less faint.  I swallowed hard as I turned to face my audience.

"I don't know how long she'll be out..."  I hated this feeling of helplessness.  In fact, I wanted to drain all the energy from the waterfall and drain it into Era.  Thorin came forwards and pulled me into a hug.

"You did what you could, Skyrena...  All we have to do is wait."  He nodded at Fili.  "Take Skyrena to the others and see to it you both get some rest.  I'll look after Era for a while."  Fili nodded and turned towards me.

"Let's go..."  I looked back at Era, who was still out cold, hoping that she'd be okay.

*Thorin's Pov-

I watched over Era for hours until, finally, sleep came.  However, my dreams were troubling.

Skyrena and Era were both running through some woods while I stood at the edge of a clearing.  On a white warg, charging right at me, was Arzog the Defiler.  He lifted his blade as he shouted out to me.

"First, your daughter!  Then, the shapeshifter.  Then, I will finish what I started with you a long time ago!"  As he disappeared into the woods after Skyrena and Era, several more Orcs appeared and attacked me.  As I fought, I heard 2 piercing screams.

"Run, Era!  Run, Skyrena!  Run away, and don't look back!"  However, I called out too late.  Soon, Arzog was coming out of the woods, holding 2 heads in his hand.

"Look upon their faces, Thorin Oakenshield, and die!"  With that, he flung the heads at me.  They were Skyrena's and Era's...

I woke with a start and looked around.  While I was asleep, someone had covered me with some furs.  I rubbed my eyes and looked at Era, who was still out cold.  She wasn't as pale anymore, but she didn't stir when I brushed some hair from her face.

In fact, she seemed at peace.  I began to wonder what she'd seen and done in her life before she got stuck here.  It didn't seem fair what fate had in store for her.  To be alone forever when everyone she'd cared about died just seemed too much.  However, I felt as though I knew how she felt.  After all, I'd lost Father and Grandfather.

What would they say if they could see me now?  They'd say I was crazy for believing her story, but they'd pity her, shapeshifter or not, just like they had pitied Skyrena so long ago.  I swallowed hard as I ran my thumb across her forehead.

"You're never going to be alone again, Era...  I will live to see the end of this journey.  I will live to see you when you first come into this world.  I will be there to protect you from your enemies when you are threatened.  I swear...  I swear never to let you hurt again."  I knew it seemed like a pretty tough promise to keep, but it brought peace to me.  I smiled a little as I rested my head in my arms, leaving a comforting hand on her arm.  "Just please, please don't leave me..."