Chapter 32

"What are you guys doing here?"  Skyrena shifted back into her dwarf form as she smiled at Tauriel, who returned the smile.

"We came looking for you.  We were going to warn you about the Orcs, but it would appear we arrived too late for that..."  Legolas rolled his eyes.

"Either way, we did help you out."  He smiled at her.  "Just like old times, Skyrena?"  He started towards the door.  "Let's go, all of you."  I shook my head.

"Skyrena and I have to protect the others...  We promised to look after my companions."  I helped Sigrid to her feet.  "Every one of them..."  Killi screamed in pain again as Bofur came in.  "Tauriel, we need your help.  Killi...  He's been poisoned, but I can't identify the poison."  She glanced at Killi with the same tender look Thorin had when he looked at Skyrena, and I realized what her conversation with Killi was about back in Mirkwood.  Finally, she responded.

"I will save him."  She set to work immediately.  First, she took some of the boiling water and made a paste out of the Kingsfoil.  Chanting in elvish, she applied it to Killi's leg.  I held Killi still as she worked.  Soon, everything grew quiet as Killi fell asleep.  Tauriel sighed with relief.  "He will live."  I hung my head and walked out to the balcony.  She followed me.  "Is everything alright, Era?"  I shrugged.

"I don't know...  It feels like Killi almost died because of me."  I glanced back at him.  "I should have opened the gate..."  Tauriel shook her head.

"Then, it would have been you in there."  I sighed and looked towards the mountain.

"You guys came all the way out here for more than just the Orcs, didn't you?"  She huffed and looked at me.  Before she could say anything, Skyrena came out and glanced between the two of us.

"Era...  I think you should make sure Kili is going to be alright."  I nodded and walked off, leaving the two of them to talk.  Singrid smiled at me as I approached Kili.

"Is everything okay?"  I turned and smiled for her sake.

"We're going to be just fine, Singrid.  I promise..."  I jerked a little when I heard Kili groan and wake up.  Fili sighed with relief as he came over to me.

"He's okay!  He's okay, Era!  Just like I promised!"  Before I could say anything, he picked me up, wrapped his hands around my waist and started spinning me around.  When he finally put me down, Tauriel was already tending to Kili.

"Not around Kili...  You'll make him dizzy, if not worse."  Kili smiled weakly.

"Glad it was me and not you, Era?"  I swallowed hard as I shook my head.

"You ever do a stupid stunt like that again, and I may kill you myself."  Kili chuckled as he looked over at Fili.

"You better keep a good eye on her, brother..."  I blushed as I headed back out onto the balcony to breath in the fresh air.  After a little bit, I heard an enraged roar.  Skyrena and I went inside to warn the others.

"It's Smaug...  He's coming."  Skyrena looked to Tauriel.  "Help get them out of here..."  With that, she took off into the night.  I started after her, but Fili caught my arm.

"Where do you think you're going?"  I tried to shake him off, but Bifur caught my other arm before I could pull free.

"I have to help her..."  Tauriel shook her head.

"Skyrena will be fine...  I sure of it."  She nodded over at Fili.  "Don't let her out of your sight...  Now, everyone, follow me."  I tugged against Fili, trying to free my arm, but he was a bit stronger than I was, even though my dwarf strength was amplified.  Fili drew me close to him as Tauriel carried Kili down to a boat outside.

"Era, we have to leave Lake Town now..."  I trembled as I gave up the fight, hoping Skyrena would be alright...

*Skyrena's Pov-

I raced along the docks, trying to track Bard's scent.  Soon, I found myself at the guard house.  Bard was shouting, demanding to be freed.  I knew no one was listening to him over the sound of the bells that began ringing.  I shifted into a bird and flew in through the window.  I landed on the outside of his cell and turned to face him as he called out.

"Skyrena?  Thank goodness...  How're my girls?"  I slammed my shoulder into the door.

"They're fine...  They're with Era, the dwarves and a good friend of mine.  Anyways..."  I slammed into the door again.  "Smaug is coming...  I have to get you out of here."  He shook his head.

"It's no use...  Try to find the key!"  He pointed towards a desk.  "There!"  I dug around frantically, looking for the key.  A roar filled the air, and the night erupted in flames.  "Hurry!"  I shook my head.

"I can't find it!"  I glanced around nervously, thinking of my options.  Finally, I thought of a solution.  "Stand back!"  I shifted into a bird, flew through the bars, shifted into a bear, and broke through the wooden wall.  Bard caught me as I shifted back into a dwarf and nearly fell out.  He smiled at me for a brief moment.

"How do we get down?"  I shifted into an eagle and allowed him onto my back.  "Head for the town hall!"  I nodded and took off through the sky.  The air was hot, and a dark figure haunted the sky.  Soon, a blast of fire started coming right towards us.  "Look out!"  I swerved to avoid the flames.  Shifting to a human, I collapsed and realized my cloak had caught fire.  Patting it out, I nodded to Bard.

"Get up there and find that black arrow!"  He started off but stopped short.

"What about you?"  I turned around and glanced at the sky.

"Don't worry about me.  Be ready to shoot the black arrow..."  I leaped up, slowly shifted into a dragon as black as the night, and flew up to meet Smaug.

*Era's Pov-

"Everyone, we have to leave..."  Tauriel rowed carefully as we floated through Lake Town, trying to avoid the flames coming down.  Suddenly, something caught my eye.

"There's another one!"  We all looked up at the black dragon, who was flying up towards Smaug.  Tauriel looked worried.

"It's Skyrena..."  I swallowed hard and tried to stand up.

"We have to do something!"  Before anyone could stop me, I was out of the boat and running through the ruins, trying to reach Skyrena and Smaug.