Chapter 16

*Era's Pov-

I groaned as I felt myself wake up.  Nearby, I felt something move and bump my arm.  I opened my eyes and found myself looking up at what looked like the ceiling of a cave.  Sitting up slowly, I looked around and took in my surroundings.  The whole company, with the exception of Gandalf, was resting in a cave.  I fet something brush against my arm again and looked down.  Fili was sleeping right next to me, alongside Thorin, and Skyrena.  I smiled as I noticed Thorin's arm was wrapped around Skyrena's waist, holding her close to him.  It was then I saw movement out of the corner of my eyes.

"Era...?"  It was Fili.  He sat up and smiled sleepily.  "Either I'm dreaming, or you're finally awake."  I frowned.

"What do you mean?  Where are we?  How long have I been out?"  He smiled and nodded.

"This isn't a dream..."  Sighing, he pulled me into a hug.  "I'm so glad."  I let him hug me, realizing just how worried he had been.  "You've been out for days!  We just finally made it to the Misty Mountains."  I frowned even more.

"How in the world did I get here if I was out the whole time?"  He smiled even more.

"Kili and I carried you.  Thorin absolutely refused to leave you behind..."  I smiled a little and turned towards him and Skyrena, who were still asleep.  "How do you feel?"  I brushed some hair back from my face and attempted to stand.  However, right when I got to my knees, my vision blurred, and I stumbled and fell over.

"Dizzy...  I don't know how long it'll take for me to be back on my feet."  He hummed slightly and laid back down.

"We should go back to sleep.  There's no telling when we'll be leaving again..."  With that, he went back to sleep.

However, I just couldn't sleep.  Instead, I crawled away from the 3 of them and leaned back against the rock wall of the cave.  Not only was Thorin treating me like his daughter, but Fili has developing feelings for me.  It all seemed like a lot to take in.  So, I leaned back and rested my head against the wall.  If only this wasn't the past...

"Era...?"  I looked over and saw Bofur, who was watching over everyone else.  "You're awake!"  I lifted a finger to my lips and shushed him.

"The others are tired...  Don't bother waking them right yet."  He nodded and came over and sat beside me.

"Thorin, Skyrena, and Fili have been worried sick about you."  I smiled as I looked over at them.

"So I noticed."  Skyrena stirred as I noticed Bilbo get up and pack up his bags.  Bofur noticed, too.

"Where are you going?!?"  Bofur was on his feet and approaching Bilbo in a heartbeat.  Realizing he'd been caught, Bilbo sighed and turned to face him.

"I'm going home..."  I struggled to rise to my feet and approached them.

"You can't leave...  Please!"  Skyrena stirred and woke up.

"Era...?  Bofur...?  Bilbo...?"  She got up and came over to us.  "What's going on?"  Bofur looked a little panicked.

"Bilbo's leaving...!"  She frowned as she turned to the hobbit.

"Why?  Was it something we did?"  He shook his head.

"No, Skyrena...  It was just a bad idea for me to come along.  I mean, think about it!"  He looked over at me.  "You've been working hard to keep everyone alive, yet you seem to be more worried about me than yourself, even though you've been out for days!"  I shrugged.

"Well, it's because I care about you.  We asked you to come along, so the least we could do is make sure you live..."  He shook his head.

"But, I'm putting you in danger!  Thorin was right...  I never should have come."  Bofur placed his hands on Bilbo's shoulders.

"You're home-sick.  We understand!"  Bilbo snapped.

"No, you don't!  You guys are used to this living on the road, especially you, Era.  You and Skyrena don't belong anywhere."  I stepped back, startled by his outburst and on the verge of tears, feeling as though someone had struck me.  However, I knew he was right...  No one, not even Thorin and Fili, would ever fully accept me for what I was or where I came from.  Bilbo turned to me and softened his tone.  "I'm sorry...  I didn't mean it that way."  I shook my head.

"No, you're right...  These guys...?  They have their kin, even if their home has been taken.  Me?  I have no home and no kin.  I don't belong anywhere..."  Skyrena frowned and shook her head.

"That's not true, Era...  Thorin and I are here for you, and everyone else is starting to warm up to you.  Even Fili has developed feelings for you.  You know you're place is here with us."  I shook my head at her.

"It's not exactly the same.  I mean, yeah, I consider you guys family and all, but I'm the misfit of the group.  This..."  I looked down at myself.  "This is just a illusion.  I never should have even come here..."  Bofur started to say something, but I cut him off by turning to Bilbo.  "Good luck getting home.  I wish you the best."  He half smiled and hugged me.

"You're always welcome to come visit if you want to..."  I smiled at him.

"I might take you up on that sometime."  Bofur and Skyrena wished him luck, and Bilbo turned to go.  I frowned when I noticed his blade.  "Is it... glowing?"  He turned and looked down.  Hearing a hissing sound, I looked down at the ground.  Thorin, having woken up, was sitting up, watching the ground seem to crack below us.

"Wake up...  WAKE UP!"  The dwarves woke with a start and looked around at the ground.  Thorin looked right at me as the cracks circled around me.  "Era..."  I swallowed hard as I realized a circle forming at my feet.  Fili was on his feet in a heartbeat.

"Era, don't move..."  With that, the ground beneath me gave out, and I found myself free-falling.  Skyrena jumped through the hole after me.

"ERA!"