Enemies with benefits

Until I heard a familiar voice that I hadn't heard for almost three years.

„Niko", Naomi said surprised and walked towards us where she then stopped. „Hi", Niko answered shortly. „How are you?", she asked him before she quickly looked at me and then decided to ignore me. „Kinda fine." From the beginning, I felt like Niko didn't want to talk to her because he greeted her with a simple „Hi" and didn't even smile as he saw her. But now that Niko – who seemed to be one of the most adorable and most caring guys I've met in my entire life - didn't ask her back if she was fine too, there was no doubt that he was extremely annoyed by Naomi's presence.

Why do they know each other?, I wondered but didn't have any idea. They can't know each other from school since Naomi was in my class in every year and Niko went to another school. Also, they don't have same interests as far as I know. So, why do they know each other? And why is Niko extremely annoyed whereas she seemed to like him or at least doesn't dislike him? So many questions that popped up in my head...

As Naomi realized that Niko wasn't about to ask her about her mood, she continued to ask him questions. „What are you doing here with her?" By the way she pronounced the 'her' even the most naïve person in the world could have noticed that she didn't like me at all. But fortunately, I couldn't stand that woman either. Well, based on her behavior, „girl" would probably fit better.

Even though Niko was clearly annoyed, he answered with a very calm, friendly voice. „We went for a walk in the park and now we sit on a bench." Naomi now looked slightly annoyed as well. „Are you and that girl", her gaze wandered to me just for a second, „a couple?". That was the next question she asked Niko as if I didn't sit next to him.

That seemed to be too much for Niko, he now couldn't speak in a calm voice anymore. „No, Sofia", he emphasized my name – probably because Naomi had called me 'that girl' –, „and I are not in a relationship. And I think, at this point, the interview is over. Fine? Fine." Niko didn't even look at her anymore, he grabbed my hand, got up and as I stood up as well, he walked away and ignored the fact that Naomi hadn't moved at all.

Wow, that's not the Niko I got to know! I never thought he could be that harsh when he's talking to someone! Of course, he had that attitude where you wouldn't think of a calm, adorable boy but to me, he had only shown exactly that side that you wouldn't expect from him. Until now. We continued walking but nobody said anything. To be honest, I was still speechless and surprised by the Niko I got to know a few minutes ago. And Niko seemed to be lost in thoughts – but not in a good way. Rather lost in thoughts about things he'd like to forget.

Finally, it was my who broke the silence. „Well", I started, „apparently we both know Naomi and connect rather bad things with her... But she seemed to kinda like you whereas she hates me. Do you want to talk about why you don't like her?", I ask carefully, trying to stay as calm as possible. At first, Niko didn't show any reaction. But after a few moments he slightly nodded.

„Usually, I don't have any problem with Naomi, we always got along quite well. But... She's my ex's best friend. Linnea and I were in a relationship for about one and a half year. In the beginning, we both were extremely happy but then Linnea got more and more jealous and always thought I'd betray her – I've never done that! But even when I met the boy's for a rehearsal, she thought I lied and met a girl to fuck. Well, sometimes she believed me that it was a band meeting but in that case she thought I'd sleep with one of the boys", Niko started telling the story.

You could clearly see that thinking about the relationship burdened him. He often stopped talking between sentences and sometimes even in a sentence. I felt the urge to hug him to support him in some way but I wasn't sure if he wanted that too. That's why I didn't do anything apart from listening. I wanted him to tell what he wanted to tell me – nothing more and nothing less.