Hurt / Darling

...my thoughts were suddenly interrupted by an unfortunately familiar voice. „Oh, look who's walking over there", the female voice said just loudly enough so that I could understand what she said. I was sure she wanted me to hear it and after her next words, there was no doubt in the fact that she was definitely talking to me or at least about me.

„Has already a new boyfriend. Apparently she never really loved your Niko. Or she betrays him while he's in Oulu, having no clue that she enjoys the company of another man that looks like a beast and maybe fucks her better than Niko does? Poor Niko, I still don't understand why he broke up with you and later fell in love with such a piece of shit."

I could feel Joe's eyes laying on me as I turned around to face Naomi and, based on her words, probably Niko's ex girlfriend Linnea. „Hello to you too", I harshly greeted them. „I've never been in a relationship, neither with Niko nor with this 'beast' next to me. You don't have to worry about Niko", I told them through my clenched teeth. „Awww, poor girl has never been in any relationship?", Naomi continued, „does no-one want such a person as his girlfriend? I can understand the men who keep their distance to you. I already wondered how Niko could stand your company. But apparently he finally realized you're not worth spending his limited time with." I looked down to my feet because I couldn't stand her devilish grin anymore. Why couldn't she just leave me alone? Why did she keep hurting me with her words? And why did Linnea stand next to her friend, doing nothing?

In the moment I wished Linnea to help me or at least drag Naomi away, she joined her friend. „But when Niko is single and won't spend his time with you, then I can convince him to get back to me. And then, I'll convince him to not talk with you anymore. I'm sure he'd believe me that you'd just hurt him now that he apparently doesn't like you that much anymore either."

I couldn't understand why Naomi and Linnea were convinced that Niko didn't like me anymore because the last time we chatted, everything seemed to be fine between us, he was as cute as always. Additionally, Niko was clearly annoyed by Linnea when she ran into us in Oulu and he definitely didn't want to go back to Linnea because their relationship broke him. But still, their words hurt me a lot and made me doubt. What if they're right? What if he really doesn't want to spend time with me anymore and simply hasn't had the balls to tell me yet? What if I'm really such a piece of shit that nobody likes because I make people's life worse?

As Naomi started to talk again, my thoughts were cut off by strong hands on my shoulders. „Let's go, Sofia, you shouldn't listen to the bullshit they say anymore", with these words, Joe turned me around and pushed me away from the two girls. For a moment, I couldn't do anything. I was still shocked by the sudden appearance from the person that probably hurt me the most and her best friend. Their words had triggered something in me, all the insecurities, self doubt and my wish to not exist as the person I was were back. That's why it took me a moment to stop stumbling next to Joe but walking properly. Why are they here in Helsinki and not in Oulu? Why are they always where I am and why do I meet them in the worst possible situation.

Luckily, Naomi and Linnea decided to not follow us which made me calm down after a few minutes. During these minutes, Joe walked next to me silently, one of hands that had rested on my shoulders before was now wrapped around my back, the other one was hanging loosely between us. As I had calmed down completely, Joe carefully started talking again. „Who were these girls? And who's this Niko? And why did they talk to you in such a mean way?" I knew he was genuinely interested and didn't mean to make me feel worse but in this second, I didn't want to talk about it.

Nevertheless, I felt like I owed him an answer. That's why I decided to shortly respond to his question without going too much in detail because I truly only wanted to forget about all of that. „Niko is my best friend. The two girls are Naomi and Linnea. Linnea is Niko's ex girlfriend, Naomi her best friend. Naomi used to bully me at school and apparently, she still doesn't want to stop with that shit." I sighed. This was the first time I actually called Niko my best friend and not Tommi. Sorry, my teddy bear, I apologized in my mind, I hope you're soon my best friend again and Niko is not my boyfriend or cuddle buddy but something more.. You'll always be as important to me as you were before I got to know Niko!