Extra Chapter: Sharks Love Blood

„Hey, what are you doing?", Niko asks as he enters the living room of our apartment in Helsinki. „I wanna finish the photo album and stick the last photos in. But as I flipped through the book and saw all those pictures, I lost myself in all the memories. Do you wanna join me?" „Oh yes, of course. I love to think about our story", Niko said excitedly before he sits down on the chair next to me and we look at all those pictures that capture the most beautiful memories. The one that now catches my attention was taken almost seven years ago at a small gig in the 45 Special in our hometown Oulu.

It all happened one and a half years after the day Niko and I had finally confessed our feelings. I was still studying in Helsinki while Blind Channel was touring Finland. A small tour in their homeland after they had visited the United States for the second time. The last gig of the tour was played in Oulu but luckily, I wasn't that busy so I could go there and have some fun. Since it was an underage show, Niko's sister, who loved the music as much as I did, could come too.

She liked me a lot before Niko and I became a couple but after we revealed our relationship, she took every opportunity to meet me. Niko likes to say that little man and I were like a second pair of parents because Aliisa admired us so much. Thus, her parents brought her here early in the morning and we both then helped the band to prepare the gig.

„Shit", my boyfriend suddenly cursed after we could hear a loud sound of glass shattering into thousand peaces. He had dropped the bottle of beer that he usually takes a sip of before the gig started to achieve the perfect mood. „Be careful don't cut yourself!" I immediately got some paper towels to clean up the liquid on the floor while Joel organized a vacuum cleaner to get rid of the sharp-edged shards. Niko, however, stood next to us, only staring at the ness he had created. „Well, hopefully the German saying that broken glass brings you luck is right", he mumbled so quietly that I had had problems to understand him.

„Hm?", I asked quietly but I received no answer. „What's up with you, today? You seem so... I don't know, not concentrated, as if your thoughts were far away and now you just randomly drop the bottle. Is everything fine with you?", I carefully lifted his head with my index finger under his chin. „I'm just nervous I guess", he murmured, avoiding my gaze. „But why's that? This is just a small show in front of less than a hundred people, not a big thing" I wondered and studied his face. He was definitely nervous, I could sense that, but I just didn't see the reason.

„That's nothing special, Niko is always nervous and excited before playing a show. Especially when it's a small one because we always want to achieve the same energy which is harder when there are only a few people in the audience. But we always want the gig to be as good as possible. I'm sure it's only that", Joel genuinely smiled at me. „You don't need to worry about him", he promised. Hopefully he's right. But even if not, this shouldn't take forever so maybe I'll eventually find out.

A few hours later, Aliisa and I sat at a table near the small stage, waiting for Niko to enter the stage. Finally Joel and Niko joined the other members on the stage, starting with Balboa. And oh, Joel was definitely right. The energy was the same as at every other show, no matter how big it was. Although the audience was not the same as at the gigs and there were more people who didn't know Blind Channel, they – once they knew the lyrics – immediately started singing along in the choruses and in general, they were vibing to the music.

But still, I could sense that something was wrong with Niko. The show was still great, definitely, but Niko seemed like he didn't really feel the music, as if his thoughts were somewhere else. This impression was proven as he once missed his cue in We are no saints. I knew something was off, but I had no idea what, I just knew I couldn't believe Joel. As far as I know, there were no arguments in the band he could be bothered by and also no other important meetings after this gig, they had a good label they were happy with. So there was nothing to be nervous about, at least from my point of view.