Stupid words

Two weeks had passed. Most of the time I had spent walking through the park or a nearby forest, reading, listening to music – especially by Blind Channel who became my favorite band along with Linkin Park – and of course I had also spent quite some time with Niko. Sometimes we went for a walk downtown or in the forest, sometimes we met at my home, sometimes I came to his apartment where I also got to know Rommi better.

Meeting Niko and enjoy the time in his apartment was exactly what I had planned for today, the last time for probably an eternity. Right now, I was standing in front of his door, waiting for him to open it. „Hey", I heard his familiar voice before my by now second best male friend pulled me in a tight hug. „Hey", I tried to answer but couldn't because we hugged tightly that I couldn't breath for a moment. „Wanna come in?", Niko asked and opened the door further. „Of course!" I smiled and entered the apartment that I already knew quite well by now. When Niko and I had met, we used to spend most of the time in his apartment because we didn't want my parents to come in regularly and stop us at what we were doing. Thus, I had been here about five or six times in the past two weeks.

As I entered Niko's living room, I noticed a pungent smell that even smelled a bit toxic to me. I sniffed again before I asked Niko about the weird smell. „Oh, I was about to paint my nails when the door bell rang! I totally forgot the time when I showered and thought I could finish painting my nails before you'd come. But apparently, I couldn't." Niko laughed a little before he admitted that he didn't even manage to paint at least one finger. „As soon as I had opened the nail polish, you came. My time management is not the best and combined with my long comfortable showers, time can past faster than I think it could." He looked at me apologizing.

I simply smiled back at him to show him I had no problem with that and sat down on his dark leatherette couch. Before Niko could take a seat next to me and lay his arm around me, the little bottle on the table caught my attention. „Black nail polish?", I asked him even though it was quite obvious considering the darkness of the bottle's content. „Of course! Almost all my clothes are black, I only wear black make up! My nails have to be black as well", Niko looked at me amused. „Well, I see", I answered chuckling. „If you want to, you can paint your nails now. I don't mind waiting."

Black nail polish, I repeated the words I had said a minute ago silently. When I was younger, about ten years ago, I always wanted to paint my nails and experiment with all those colorful polishes but somehow I never really liked it. I guess it didn't fit my style that well. But in the last couple of months I sometimes had thought about painting my nails again. But not colorful, rather black. Unfortunately, I had never been brave enough to actually paint my nails or even buy any nail polish. Not only because most of the time I wore dark blue clothes that I didn't want to combine with black nails but especially because I was afraid of what my parents and friends would think about it. Black nails were one of the things that my parents couldn't stand, they were on the same level as tattoos.

But now... Now I had the chance to try black nail polish and I could remove it before my parents could see it. Additionally, I was with Niko who seemed to like me who ever I was and support me becoming who I wanted to be. And of course he liked to wear nail polish himself so why should he judge me for trying for what I had wanted to try for so long? Today I wore black jeans and a dark red hoodie, thus the color would fit as well. Maybe I should really try it, I thought and watched Niko who has started to carefully apply the polish on his left pinkie.

Apparently, Niko had noticed my gaze since he now looked at me. „If you want to, I could also paint your nails. I think it would look amazing with your outfit!" Shyly I looked at him. „If that's fine for you...", I answered, still a bit unsure if I should actually do that. „Of course! Why shouldn't it? Sofia I know you aren't sure about your personality and your style, I'd love to help you find out more about it", he encouraged me before he closed the nail polish bottle and hugged me, trying not to touch me with his left hand's fingers. I smiled widely into our hug that again gave me a feeling of nothing but comfort.