Rest Stop

Chapter Fifteen

||MASKY||

We all got into the car once again and set off for the location Jeff had provided me with. In the back of my mind I wondered if he was being genuine. You can never know when it comes to that piece of shit.

I looked down at my hands, clenching my fists as I sucked in a deep breath.

As the journey stretched on for a few hours and as Toby's snores threatened to drown out the music over the stereo I could only replay that moment over and over again in my mind.

I'd only slapped her to get her back to her senses.

Really.

In fact, if I actually wanted to hurt her I could have just killed her here. No one would find her. No one would even get close.

But I couldn't stop thinking about the look in her eyes, the way her lips parted and how startled she appeared in that moment when my hand struck her cheek.

I needed to see that face again, but I knew it was wrong. Hurting the people you care about is-

Ha. Did I really care about her though? I suppose I couldn't deny it now that I was risking my job to save her life, but what a way to find out.

It's rare that I'd even entertain thoughts like these.

Right and wrong were concepts that I hardly ever wasted time thinking about, but when it came to her, I guess I needed a few rules. If I didn't hold myself back I could lose her too soon and that's not something I wanted to happen.

I could feel the warmth of her body next to mine and it took all I had to resist the urges that were building up inside me.

Why wouldn't she just do as I said? It would be so easy to just do it again, kill someone. Kill anyone. Her annoying friend in the driver's seat was the perfect candidate.

A ringing sound started to break through my thoughts and I gritted my teeth trying to focus on something else.

Zalgo.

If we found him we could make a deal, a deal that would keep her safe from him.

Slenderman was always intervening at the wrong times yet when he was truly needed he was nowhere to be found. So what if she hadn't been killed? He's gotten enough sacrifices. Now when I'd found something I could truly say intrigued me-- he was trying to rip it away.

I didn't realise I was shaking until I felt her soft hand brush mine and she pried my fingers open as they had been clenched so tightly they left red marks on my open palms.

I swallowed, looking over at her.

"Are you okay? Are you cold?"

Why did her voice sound like that? Like she actually cared even after what I did.

And wasn't she just cozying up to Toby?

I tried to dispel the negative thoughts from my mind.

That didn't matter now.

She was talking to me. She was looking at me.

"I'm fine."

It came out a lot harsher than I meant it, and my chest constricted when I felt her pulling her hand away.

I grabbed her wrist then, holding her smaller hand in mine and I saw her give me a questioning look, her dark lashes that framed her captivating brown eyes made it hard to form sentences.