Self Reflection

Chapter Seventeen

||MASKY||

My hand was still around her neck when my mask clattered to the floor, our eyes meeting, unobstructed for the first time since we'd met.

She'd seen my face.

This wasn't how I planned for her to see me. There was something about how vulnerable I felt when my face was visible.

It felt like she could see inside me and I wasn't sure of how to feel about it.
Needless to say it was an awkward moment for both of us.

"S-sideburns?" She choked out on what sounded like a laugh, her pupils dilated and the blood vessels in her eyes were becoming more and more prominent with each second that ticked by as she continued to struggle and grasp at my hand.

What am I doing? I can't kill her yet.

I let go of her suddenly, watching as she stumbled back, her legs giving way and as she was about to sink to the floor I caught her in my arms.

She touched her neck gingerly, coughing a bit before she pushed against me to let her go free but I held her tightly, forcefully making her face me.

"Kit-"

"Fuc- darn!" she croaked out weakly, using her elbow to push back at me. I knew it must hurt her to speak but she did anyways. I was impressed that even now she still refused to utter a real curse.

"Listen, if you don't want to die it's best you start listening to me," I warned with a stern expression.

"Well it seems like I'll die no matter what I do. If Slenderman doesn't kill me it'll be you. What's the point of even going through this anymore when the end result is the same?"

"I'm not going to kill you."

"Well you sure came close just now!"

"You're fine."

"Okay great that makes it okay then! Not only do I have to watch out for a mannequin octopus hybrid, I also have to watch out for the very person who said they'd keep me safe."

I sighed and let her hand go as she continued to glare at me.

She wasn't wrong.

"Do you even care about what you're putting me through?" Her eyes filled with tears.

"I do."

"You don't hurt the people you care about!"

I wasn't sure how to respond to that.

From the moment I knew myself, I'd always felt like that just wouldn't be something I could relate to.

There's this kind of insatiable need I have to put her through hell.

There is this madness in me that craves to show her how fucked up my love could be.

I doubt she would appreciate that though.

I underestimated how fragile she could be. There wasn't anything special about her after all.

She'd never be comfortable living the life I lead. Inside, this fact made me even more intrigued.

What would it take to break her completely, then? How much could she take before she went insane and could I be the one to get her there?

Helping her and eventually claiming her would take a lot more patience than I originally thought.

I wondered what she must be thinking now but my question was quickly answered when she turned away and spoke sullenly.

"I can't even stand to look at you."