Survivor's Guilt

Chapter Seven

||KIT||

I blinked my eyes open, squinting up at the overhead lights and as I moved to sit upright a sharp pain shot down my back, keeping me in bed.

A hospital bed.

I looked around the cold, sterile space I occupied. There was a bin next to the single bed and a thin partition that separated me from the other patients. I could hear coughing coming from the bed left of mine.

I liked hospitals. I always felt at home and especially since most of my earlier years were spent in them as a kid for some reason or other.

Speaking of memories, flashbacks of last night were starting to creep up on me, and my palms were beginning to sweat.

Cassandra, Mason, Stephanie—They were all dead, and I'd done part of the killing.

I sat up, ignoring the pain in my back, and ready to leave the bed when the door opened to reveal a short plump nurse with a cheery expression which instantly made me feel better. She checked my blood pressure and temperature before jotting the numbers down on her clipboard.

"Are you experiencing any pain?" She asked and I nodded, telling her where my back was hurting.

She jotted something again before smiling at me, "You have some visitors, I'll let you catch up while I get you something for the pain."

I got excited as she opened the door, letting my family in.

The two little angels squealed as soon as they saw me, throwing themselves at me and I laughed pulling them onto my lap for a tight hug despite the pain.

Maya and Sophia were three years old and the cutest little demons on the planet.

My foster brother, Nick, gave me a quick smile before going back to his phone.

Aww he cares!

Sara was looking down at me with a worried, yet relieved expression and after answering a million and one questions and listening to them gush over the fact that I was actually alive, I was relieved to see the nurse enter the room once again.

"Well, you're good and ready to go."

She handed me a prescription for pain meds and I smiled, grabbing Sara's hand.

She looked so stressed out.

She placed a hand to my cheek, looking into my brown eyes with her own teary ones before saying, "Oh mija, you're never leaving my sight again."

Darnit.

I frowned a bit but as she pulled me against her for another hug, I smiled at the realization that I would actually make it home in one piece. That's more than the others back at the cabin could say.