Coffee Date

Chapter Thirty One

||KIT||

The smell of freshly baked pastry was over-whelming from the moment we walked in and I was glad I came as my stomach was full-on twisting into itself with how hungry I was. I scanned the glass cases, looking at all the different pastries and toppings until I finally decided on a strawberry frosted donut with a ton of sprinkles.

Joey also got iced coffees for us and a jelly-filled donut for himself. We took seats close to the front of the cafe so we could people watch.

As he started to eat his donut I took a sip of my iced latte, watching him from under my lashes. He looked happy biting into the confectionary and when the red filling and powdered sugar messed up his hands he wasted no time in sucking it off his fingers.

I took a bite of my own donut before he could say I was staring again.

"So, is it good?" he asked, wiping the corner of his mouth with a napkin and I nodded, sipping my drink again.

"On a scale of one to ten?"

I screwed up my face in thought at his question, "I dunno, maybe eight?"

"Ah, that good? I was thinking a solid six-point-nine," he grinned and I smiled along watching him slurp down half his coffee in less than a second.

A few seconds later his expression became more serious and he looked into my eyes, "so, I know this may be a sensitive topic for you but I can tell you're not doing so well."

I folded my lips, unsure of what to respond with as I turned my gaze downward, looking at my shoes through the transparent tabletop.

"Well, if you don't want to talk about it that's okay too but I'm here to listen whenever you're ready."

As if I could ever tell someone like him what was bothering me.

I was about to take another bite of my donut when a flash of white caught my eye and I froze. Just across the road in a dimly lit alleyway I could've sworn I saw a white mask, but it was there and then gone so quickly I wasn't sure if I'd imagined it or not.

My throat was dry and I'd suddenly lost my appetite as well.

Could it have been him?

I felt a warm hand on mine and as I turned back to look at Joey he had a concerned look on his face. That's when I realized I had been squeezing the life out of the donut, strawberry frosting now smeared over the napkin and my hand.

"Ah, shi- shucks," I mumbled, grabbing another napkin and using it to wipe my hand as Joey took his hand back and I got to my feet, grabbing the cup of coffee as I looked for a bin to toss the barely eaten donut in.

"You ready to go?" he asked and I nodded.

"Yeah I- I promised my mom I'd get some stuff done for her today."

He nodded in understanding and after I found a bin he offered to walk me home.

"No that's not necessary," I tried to offer him a smile for all his troubles, "I had fun though. I'll see you at school?"

"Hey, remember what I said," he patted my shoulder, "I'll be waiting."

Nodding I watched him leave before I headed in the opposite direction, towards home.

I made it home sometime later and found Sara trying to assemble a lego structure with the happily babbling twins. After greeting them I went up to my room, shutting the door behind me. I stripped out of my sweater almost immediately and fell into bed with a heavy sigh.