Into The Woods

Chapter Fifty Three

||KIT||

"Kitani are you listening to me?"

I lifted my head to look at Sara as I pushed the food around on my plate, appetite lost. I was way too excited to eat, knowing that Toby was waiting for me just outside.

"What?" I asked.

Her eyes narrowed marginally before she spoke again, "I was thinking we could all take a trip to Claremont this summer. Go see Great-aunt Josie and our Tia Rosa? You remember cousin Lilly? She spent Christmas with us a few years ago."

I lowered my eyes to my food again, pushing the beans to one side of the plate, "I'm not going."

After a long pause she spoke again, "and why not?"

Because I'm not leaving Masky, obviously.

"I don't want to."

"Well I think it'll be good for you to get out of the house sometimes, Kit. let some sunlight touch your skin, you're starting to look pale."

As if you're not the one who grounded me for life.

I stabbed at a piece of chicken with my fork, deciding not to answer and after a while she spoke again.

"How was your session today? Made any progress?"

I continued to push the food around on my plate.

"I'm talking to y-"

"I got my report card," Nick spoke up, cutting her off before she could finish and I was grateful for the distraction, waiting until Sara turned her attention to him before I pushed my chair back from the table.

I should have known she wouldn't let me go that easily though.

"Where are you going? You hardly touched your food."

Sighing, I pushed my chair under the table, "not hungry."

When I dumped the untouched food in the trash I heard the screech of a chair being pushed away from the table and a few seconds later Sara joined me in the kitchen, grabbing my elbow when I made a move to go by her.

"What's gotten into you lately?" She questioned between gritted teeth.

"What? I just said I'm not hungry!" I tried to pull my arm out of her grip but she held fast, glaring down at me.

"Don't raise your voice at me young lady," she was too close for my liking and my palms were starting to sweat, my heart in my throat as I focused my gaze on the floor in order to not lose my cool.

If she knew the things I could do, the things I have done, she'd never be so bold as to grab me like this.

Turning my eyes to the side I could see the wooden knife holder just across from us, with its assortment of knives and I swallowed, turning my eyes away again.

No. I can't.

"Now are you going to talk to me or continue with this attitude of yours?"

I was quiet and when her grip didn't loosen I wrenched my arm out of her grasp and made a quick getaway, stomping up the stairs and down the hallway. After slamming my bedroom door behind me, the lock clicked in place.

My hands were shaking and I pressed my back against the door, taking a few calming breaths as I heard hurried footsteps approaching down the hallway.

A few seconds later there was a knock on my door, "Kit? You need to talk to me, please."