Close Quarters

Chapter Nineteen

Careful now, you're swimming with piranhas
Watch your step, you're trotting on fire

Dracula- Labrinth

||KIT||

The next morning I barely had enough time to eat the toast and eggs Amy made before Masky had us pile into the car at the crack of dawn.

I didn't want to sit next to him but I didn't have a choice.

He had us sit at the back, away from Toby's prying eyes I'm guessing, but he didn't even have to worry. Toby seemed to be more interested in Amy this time around, calling shotgun and securing himself in the passenger seat next to Amy before Hoodie could object. I could tell he was upset by how hard he had his fists clenched, his knuckles turning white as he sat before us, his broad shoulders blocking most of the light, and the view.

Since I'd had a hard time sleeping, I kept nodding off during the drive and eventually I was asleep, resting my head against the glass as the car followed the road we were travelling on before our detour last night.

A few hours later I woke up to the sound of the car door slamming shut.

My head was on Maskys shoulder as I blinked my eyes open, and I quickly distanced myself from him.

"Where'd the others go?" I asked, clearing my throat. After last night I wasn't sure how to talk to him anymore.

"Your friend needed a bathroom break, even though I said no."

I rolled my eyes, "you can try and control everything, but not someone else's bladder, sadly."

I heard something like a chuckle from him but as I turned to look at him I was met with his expressionless mask.

"If I could help it we wouldn't be doing all this. I just can't afford to have Slenderman catch up to us before we get where we need to."

I heaved a sigh. He was right, kinda, and it didn't seem like he was too upset about what I'd said to him last night.

Were we-- okay?

I perked up a bit, wanting to lighten the mood a little.

"Hey do you wanna maybe do something, you know, after all this craziness is over?"

"Like kill?"

His question threw me off a little and I raised a brow.

Was that really all he thought about?

"No, I mean something fun."

"Killing is fun."

"How can you just say that so casually?" I threw my hands up, "I meant like going out, having a picnic, talking about life and what we want to do with our futures, stuff like that."

"That doesn't sound fun," he answered, stretching his legs out before him and resting his head on the back of the seat.

"Well of course it wouldn't sound fun to you, you're not normal. Sometimes I want to do normal things."

"You already knew from the get-go that I wasn't normal. Heck, the first time we met there was a body falling out of the closet behind you, and you say you want something normal?"

"That was an accident." I rolled my eyes and picked at the thread coming loose at the hem of my shirt.

Why does everyone keep mentioning that? It was an accident.