Chapter 1

Walking Through the Time Capsule

Chapter 1

*

*

Niall...

My feet crashed against the white sterilized tiles. One after the other. My heartbeat pulsed through my ears while the cruel words mercilessly attacked my soul. I pushed my legs faster once I saw the main doors of this godforsaken hospital. I didn't even care to see if anyone had followed me out of the room as I burst out of the doors. I just ran and ran. I ran straight past my car that had been parked in the same spot for nearly a month.

The lake's only ten minutes from here by foot. A voice echoed in my mind.

I could feel my veins boiling in my face as the tears trapped themselves behind the barricade my eyes were trying to make. I just kept running, nearly tripping over my own feet a few times, as it became harder to block the water forming over my vision.

As I ran down the sidewalk, I could see the blurry outline of the trees start to form. I urged myself to go faster, wanting to escape and hide in the thick and lonely forest. Once I broke through the barrier of woods, it felt like a thick clamp fastened around my neck. It became hard to breathe and my whole body hurt. All the pain, memories, and presence of her were in these woods.

Everywhere.

I finally saw the bright blue of the lake peeking through the trees. Once I made it to the spot I had been yearning for, I collapsed to my knees, and the floodgates broke. I laid on my side, curled into a ball, and cried and cried for hours.

He's the one that hurt me.

He's a monster! He ruined my life!

I HATE HIM!

I choked even more violently on a sob as her words twisted and looped themselves through every crevice in my being. "Shut up!" I screamed to the drifting winds. "STOP!" I released my knees, and lifted my hands to my ears, uselessly hoping to stop the voice I didn't want to hear saying those words. 

How could this happen? How could I let this happen? I was right all along. It was all my fault. Her losing her memory, being in the hospital in the first place, it's all my fault. If I wasn't so stupid, if I just spent the night with her and celebrated with our friends like we had planned. If I hadn't been so naive and easily tricked, this would have never happened.

If I hadn't ever left in the first place, none of this would have happened. I should've tried to convince my parents harder to stay and never move. Then all of this would've been prevented. Her dad would have never abused her, because I would have found out and done something about it. She would have never been harassed because I would've had those assholes expelled at the first glance. And most of all, I would have never gotten twisted in a bunch of sick shit and done the terrible things I did.

It was all so fucked up.

And it's all your fault, you sick bastard.                               

I didn't even bother fighting. I let the demons slowly invade my brain, because they were right.

If you hadn't laid your hands on her, she wouldn't have you pinned as the bad guy in her mind. Better yet, if you had never even existed, she wouldn't have gotten hurt. She'd still be the happy little girl you selfishly left behind. Why don't you just do everyone a favor and disappear so she doesn't have to look in your filthy eyes ever again.