Chapter 19

Walking Through the Time Capsule

Chapter 19

*

*

Niall...

I stepped into the nice, cozy looking ice cream shop that I found. All the places by the beach were closed, but this one was open since it was more in the city. I was surprised to see a few other people in here. I guess people didn't care if it was nearly three on a Monday morning.

"Hi, what can I get for you?" The man, who looked to be in his late twenties, asked.

"Uh, can I just have a scoop of salted caramel in a cup please?" I ordered Annabelle's favorite. It felt right.

"No problem." He said politely before getting my ice cream.

I didn't want to stand there and stare at him, so I pulled out my phone to see if Harry had heard me leave. I didn't have any messages, so I assume I didn't wake him.

"Here you go." He said as he handed me my ice cream and a spoon. I handed him a five dollar bill, and put the change in the tip jar, before going to sit in the empty booth in the corner.

I closed my eyes as I took in the spoonful of ice cream. Honestly, the dessert could cure any emotion, almost better than alcohol ever could. At least in my case. I just watched out the window as I ate, and saw various people walk past me. It was strange how so many people were out this late at night. But then again, I was in a city by the beach, and it was a Holiday to them today. So, it made sense.

I finished my ice cream, and was about to get up to throw the cup away, but I remained seated when I heard the door to the shop open. I turned around to ease my curiosity, and to see who came in. To say I was shocked would be a complete understatement. I wiped my eyes to make sure my tiredness wasn't playing tricks on me, but no, Annabelle and Melanie had just walked into the same ice cream parlor as me.

I quickly turned around towards the window, and tried to assess the situation. My options and possibilities of how to avoid confrontation were slim to none. I tried to think of what to do, but my mind was blank. All I knew was that unless I could hide in this corner till they left, she was bound to see me. But then again, would seeing her be so bad? It'd been three weeks since she woke up, maybe things had changed in her head. Maybe she forgot our first few encounters.

Do you really wanna take that chance, Niall? Remember how bad it went last time?

I peeked around the booth to see both of them getting handed their ice cream. Annabelle leaned over to say something to Melanie, who was pulling out her wallet. As Melanie handed her money to the same man, Annabelle headed off towards the toilets. When Melanie turned to find a place to sit, I quickly took the opportunity to flag her down.

"Melanie, over here." I whisper shouted.

"Niall?" Her eyes widened to saucers. "What are you doing here?" She sat down in front of me.

"I had a really good dream for the first time in months and wanted to have something sweet to celebrate. But that's not important, what are you guys doing here?" I rushed out quickly.

Her look of panic shifted into happiness and relief. "She dreamed a memory, Niall." 

"She what?" I sighed hopefully. "What memory was it."

"It was of you."

My grin grew larger, nearly breaking my jaw. "Really?" I felt the bubbles of excitement start to shift in my stomach.