Chapter 54

Walking Through the Time Capsule

Chapter 54

*

*

Niall...

I stared at her, trying to put together a thought in my blank head. When she finally got bored of my silence, she spoke again, boldly poking my wet cheek.

"I said, why are you crying, mister?"

I rolled back onto my bum, easing the pressure off my knees. "Well, you see, there's this Princess..." I started, noticing how much her face lit up when I said 'princess'.

"Ooh, like Sleeping Beauty?!" She squealed, clapping her little hands.

"Yes, just like Sleeping Beauty. Do you like Princesses?" I asked her.

"Yes, oh yes! Belle is my favorite! Her hair brown like mine!" She happily bubbled.

"Well this princess has brown hair too, just like you and Belle."

"Where is she? What's her name?" She asked, curiosity welling in her eyes.

"Her name is Annabelle."

"Oh, just like Belle!" She caught the name similarity.

"That's right. But Princess Annabelle was stolen away by the villains." I explained, using her terms.

She gasped. "Oh no! They took the princess?!"

"Yes they did. And no one know's where Princess Annabelle is."

"Is that why you are sad?" She quirked her head.

"Yes, darlin', I'm sad because Princess Annabelle is the nicest, most beautiful Princess, and she didn't deserve to be stolen." My eyes glossed over once more.

"Did she eat a poisoned apple? Is that why she was stoled away?" My heart clenched at how sweet and innocent this child was. She had so much compassion in her eyes for a girl she didn't even truly know.

"I believe so." I played along, obviously not wanting to explain to the girl how it was really a poisoned chloroform rag.

She took a moment to examine my face again, before taking her little hand and wiping away a stray tear from my cheek. "Are you her Prince?"

Her words caused a sad chuckle to bubble from my lips. "I am. But you have to promise to keep it a secret." I laughed, poking her nose.

"Uh huh! I will, I will!" She pretended to lock up her mouth. "Well, Mister Prince," she said, making me chuckle again, "don't be sad anymore. You'll find Princess Annabelle." She gave me a sweetly warm smile.

"How do you know?"

"Because, the Prince always saves the Princess in the end. Haven't you ever seen Snow White?" She put her hands on her hips, shaking her head in a matter of fact tone.

I nodded my head, letting my lips curl upwards slightly. Annabelle would have gotten such a kick out of this.

"You know, Princess Annabelle is actually best friends with Snow White. All the princesses actually." I grinned at the reaction I got from her.

"Really?!" She shrieked.

"Yup, do you wanna see?" I asked, pulling out my phone.

The little five year old nodded vigorously, moving to stand beside me. I opened up my camera roll to a picture of Annabelle and Snow White at Disneyland, a week before she was abducted. Annabelle and the Disney Princess were hugging in the picture. They both had big smiles on their faces as they stared at the camera.