Chapter 46

Walking Through the Time Capsule 

Chapter 46

*

*

Niall...

It'd been a little over three months since Annabelle bumped into him at the beach, and nothing really eventful had happened. We had a few cookouts at the house for some holidays, went to Disneyland a bunch of times, and did some other fun day trips. Anything to keep our minds off everything, but staying safe and smart at the same time. With Annabelle knowing, things had been different. Before, when she was in the dark, we were all weighed down with the heavy burden and danger of our secret. We didn't realize it before, but it was actually better with her knowing. Not only was she cautious and observant, opposed to being oblivious, but she was handling it fantastically. We were worried before she found out, that she would spiral into depression and fear, but she'd been the opposite. She'd been the light and the ray of sunshine that was keeping us all glued together. If it weren't for her, we'd have all lost our minds.

Especially since it'd been quiet.

...Too quiet.

No more notes had shown up. No more knocks on the door. No more accidental encounters.

It was like they packed up and left without a trace. But we knew they were still there. Waiting. And it was terrifying.

Like I said, if it wasn't for Annabelle's positivity, I would've gone crazy with paranoia. It was still in the back of our minds though, but we'd been choosing to ignore it and just go on with our lives.

With that being said, most of us got jobs to start an actual life here. Eleanor got another job at a mall, like when she was living in Ireland. Harry got an assistant job at a tattoo parlor, along with Zayn. Melanie used her singing skills, that I never knew about till now, to get an internship at a starter record label. Louis got a job at a surf shop by the beach near our house. 

Liam, Annabelle and I were the only ones that didn't get jobs yet. Liam, because he hadn't found one he liked yet, and Annabelle hadn't for obvious reasons. I originally got hired at a guitar center nearby, and worked there for a couple weeks. I quit because I got too much anxiety being away from Annabelle with everything going on. I told my boss, however, that I had to leave due to serious personal problems, and he said when things were resolved I was more than welcome back. I thought I might take up his offer when this is all was blown over, since I did enjoy it for the most part when I wasn't panicking. Annabelle, no surprise, said she'd love to get a job at Disney some day when this was over. I told her she'd be great, since she looked like most of the princesses already. With the wigs and costumes, she could really pull it off.

"Niall, how's the chicken coming?" I was broken out of my thoughts by Harry.

"Well, I haven't burnt the house down yet, so alright." I joked, earning an eye roll.

"If you ruin my favorite part of the meal, you better start packing your bags." Zayn teased from across the room.

It was the end of June, and the official beginning of summer. More specifically, the year anniversary of when Melanie, Annabelle, Harry and I graduated from that hellhole we had to call a school. We thought we'd all work together to make an extra special meal to celebrate how far we'd come since that fateful night. The night I almost lost everything.

"I won't burn everything...just your piece." I scoffed.

He mumbled a probably aggressive and rude comeback, that I couldn't hear, and continued with his task of setting up the table along with Melanie.