Chapter 38

Walking Through the Time Capsule

Chapter 38

*

*

Niall...

I felt paralyzed. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't sleep. I couldn't think about anything else but that God forsaken note on my bedside table. 

Just a few hours ago, everything was completely normal. Everything was perfect and right in the world again. Just a few hours ago, it all changed with a mere piece of scrap paper. Just a few hours ago, Harry and I had to hold in this haunting secret and watch a movie as if nothing was wrong, when really, everything was wrong. Very, very wrong. 

After Harry and I, as quietly as we could, both panicked in the kitchen, we made the popcorn and went downstairs as quickly as we could to not raise suspicion. While the popcorn was being popped, we did however come up with a quick little plan. We had to let everyone know about this ASAP. Everyone had to be made aware and alert, and most importantly, we had to hide this from Annabelle. She could not know that they found her. She was already too fragile and it would make everything worse. She'd be better protected if she was kept in the dark, as awful as it would make me feel to lie to her. 

The plan was to wake everybody up at three A.M, when we knew Annabelle would be fast asleep, and have an emergency meeting downstairs. 

I had convinced Annabelle to sleep in my room with me tonight, although it didn't take much convincing at all since she pretty much agreed right away. I was desperate to have her in here for many reasons, the obvious being to keep her close where I knew she was safe. One of the other reasons was for my own sake. With all the fears and anxieties running through my mind right now, I needed her presence to keep my calm. It was proving to be half effective as I held her to my chest and examined her face, but I was still just too scared. 

The few freckles sprinkled across her nose were still visible in the moonlight. Her eyes lightly fluttered under her closed lids, indicating she was dreaming. I could only hope she was having the sweetest dreams possible. By the child like, relaxed look on her face, I think she was having just that. I ran a hand through her long, soft hair. All I wanted for her was to live a simple, care-free life. She'd always been such a golden spirit, and deserved the best life there is. All she'd been dealt was the negative cards in the deck, and it made me angry. She didn't deserve this. I know that no one in the world deserved a life like this, but she was especially undeserving of it. 

Looking at the clock to see it was time, I slowly pulled myself away, careful not to wake her. Once standing, and seeing she hadn't once stirred, I hatefully grasped the wretched note in my hand and tiptoed to the hallway. Harry was making his way out of his room at the same time as me. 

As he emerged from his door, directly across from my room, we immediately locked eyes. I took a brief moment to take in his appearance. He still had his clothes from yesterday on, which I would too if I didn't have to change so Annabelle wasn't made suspicious. He had large bags under his eyes, and his face looked sullen and tired. It appeared he hadn't slept a wink, but to be fair, neither had I. 

"Let's do this then." He whispered, proceeding to open up Melanie's door next to him. To make this go quickly, we agreed before hand that he'd wake her and Zayn, and I would wake the others. I went down the opposite end of the hall to wake up Louis and Eleanor first. I knew he would be the hardest to get awake, so I figured I'd get it over with. 

When I crept into the room, I switched on the dim light on the lamp next to the bed, causing Eleanor to immediately stir. 

"Niall?" She fluttered her eyes open but immediately squinted them due to the sudden change of light. "What are you doing?"