Chapter 52

*read with caution

Walking Through the Time Capsule

Chapter 52

*

*

Annabelle...

I'm not sure exactly how long it was, but I'm pretty sure a week had passed. I laid down on that little spot in the sun everyday, and watched the light go down every night. I counted it seven times, so unless I'd been unconscious for a few days, I'd been here a week.

The pain got more unbearable everyday. I was beaten at least a couple times a day, and it got worse with each one. It was like he had built up resentment that he kept adding on. Surprisingly though, and much to my confusion, Nick had not come down here a single time. I hadn't seen him since my first night here, when he came in and spoke to me. I didn't know why. After all this work and effort, I didn't think he would just bail and leave. My best guess is that he knew I was waiting for it, anxiously, and he was making me sit here and build up fear.

I didn't really care too much to think about it. The only thing that could occupy my mind was the pain I was in. Every bone, every muscle in my body hurt. I'm sure I had dozens of broken bones, reverting all the progress I had made over the past year. I'm sure if I were to look in a mirror, I'd be an unrecognizable mess of purple and blue. It hurt to breathe, it hurt to blink. I didn't know if I was going to wake up again every morning.

I missed Niall. I missed all my friends. I missed our disney movie nights that were filled with chatter and laughs. I missed the life of freedom and happiness that I finally got to have a taste of.

Normally, the light of the sun made me feel better. Mentally it did, but today it was scorching my skin. I used the little bathroom in the corner to clean the cuts I gained to the best of my ability, but it was proving to be difficult. The sun quickly setting, caused an ominous glow to cast over the room, leaving an unsettling feeling in my stomach.

"What the fuck do you mean?" I heard a muffled voice yell from upstairs.

"I mean exactly what I mean! She's plastered everywhere." The rebuttal sounded like Nick.

"Whatever, they won't find her here anyways."

I didn't understand exactly what they were talking about, but I had a big hunch it was about me.

The little dispute was quickly followed by the slamming open of the basement door. I immediately shuffled back, out of the light, using my hands to push myself to the small mattress in the far left corner. The light switched on, and the smirk filled face of Nick stood in the center of the room.

"Miss me?" He mocked. "I figured I'd give you and your old man a little bonding time before I stepped in."

"J-just p-please, leave me alone, Nick." Despair started welling in me. It didn't take a genius to know where this was going.

"Aw, where's the fun in that?" He slowly started creeping towards me, causing me to shake like a crumbled little leaf. "Your dumb boyfriend is playing quite the hero." He sneered. "He's basically got the whole United States looking for you. Too bad they won't ever find you." He gave me a sick smile, crouching in front of me and grabbing my face.

"Yes they will. He will find me."

He chuckled. "I'd like to see him try."

With those words, he quickly pushed me down, flattening my body against the mattress. The force of his weight on my broken ribs caused me to wheeze out a groan. He made it a point to purposely crush me with his body. He obviously knew the extent of my damage since he probably listened to my screams every night.