Chapter 29

Walking Through the Time Capsule

Chapter 29

*

*

Annabelle...

"Can you believe Christmas is only a week and a half away?" Melanie screeched from her spot by the window. She was currently in charge of opening all the boxes of lights we bought.

"Don't forget about my birthday!" Louis shouted into the front screen door. The boys were on decoration duty for the outside of the house. Or as they put it, making our house the 'best on the block.'  Whatever that meant. 

"I only dream of it, Louis!" She screamed back. 

"Between us girls," El began to whisper so the boys wouldn't hear, "we're gonna make the house look better inside than it will outside."

"Yeah, those dweebs are so unorganized, it'll probably look like Santa puked on the house." Mel scoffed. 

I rolled my eyes to myself. The girls and the boys always seemed to make everything a competition, whether it was picking movies, things to do, even cooking. I always laughed on the sidelines along with Niall, rather than participate in the ridiculousness. 

Speaking of Niall, we'd become a lot closer in the past month and a half. Since Halloween, when I had my little melt down, I gained a lot of trust in him. Everything just felt right and complete when I was with him. Although I didn't exactly understand why, I didn't mind. I hadn't really remembered anything since that night, but I didn't really mind that either, considering the only things I'd remembered so far were horrid. I knew that bothered everyone else though. They all wanted me to remember our old friendships, even though they were mostly relatively new to begin with. Melanie felt guilty that she was the only one I remembered. Niall put up quite a front, but I know it bothered him the most. If he was the best friend he and everyone else claimed he was, then I completely understood. I would be hurt if I was in his situation. 

I just couldn't believe how scared I used to be of him. I thought about it countless times, but I still couldn't seem to figure out why my brain was so convinced he was bad when I woke up. I can't believe how terrified I was of him. I apologized to him countless times, but he understood from the beginning, so it was easy to get past. We were over it now, but it was something that still tugged at me. I mean, how could it not? From what I learned as I got closer to him, he was the sweetest. I'm sure he couldn't even hurt an ant. 

Anyways, around Thanksgiving, the truth came out about how we moved out here to hide me from my abusive dad, that I still didn't really remember, other than the fact he was abusive. It was spilled that Harry and Niall moved into a separate apartment so that Niall could still protect me, but stay far enough out of my sight so I wouldn't be scared of him. It made total sense when they told me, and I was flattered that Niall still respected his role as a best friend to protect me, even when I didn't know him. But needless to say, I told them to sell the apartment and move into the two empty rooms that were still in the house. I mean, it only made sense, right? There was no need for them to be away when Niall and I were on great terms. Honestly, on nights they spent at their apartment, I couldn't sleep cause I had fear pulling at me all night. But on nights when I knew Niall was somewhere under this roof, I felt safe and comforted. They were more than happy to move into here officially, but I mean, who wouldn't? This house was absolutely amazing.

Niall hadn't slept in my bed with me though since horror nights. Not gonna lie, there was a small part of me that wanted to go knock on his door, at the end of the hall, every night, and ask him to stay with me. I just felt so much safer when he was around.