Chapter 36

Over the next week, Arnav had deployed his team to look for Anjali, and he hoped that he would find her soon. His calls to Khushi, inspite of the time difference, were very frequent and the two love birds did not seem to be satisfied with mere conversations over the phone. They needed the physical presence of the other but they also knew that this was her career which she should not compromise.

'What happened, Khushi? You sound dull today!' He addressed, as Khushi's voice lacked the usual chirpiness.

'Nothing! The work!' She tried to divert the topic.

'Don't lie to me! I know you better', he curtly mentioned, as panic slowly started rising in his nerves.

'Really, Arnav. Trust me, there is nothing to worry about', she admitted, despite knowing that Arnav had caught her. But she had no choice either. She did not want him know how much disturbed she was.

'I trust you to confess whatever you are going through. I love you, doesn't mean I would share only the happiness in your life'. Arnav was himself surprised by the words he uttered. Had anyone told him that he would, one day, speak such sentences on love, he would have conveniently laughed it off.

'Someone has become a hard core romantic', she teased.

'Don't divert the topic, Khushi', he warned, while she bit her lip.

'I am not diverting. I am just trying to maintain the doctor- patient confidentiality. This is about a patient, Arnav', she made him understand.

'Fine! If you say so! But remember, I am there', he said, and added, 'Always'.

The promise of forever filled her soul with overwhelming happiness. She was thankful for the life she was bestowed with.

'You know? I am glad that Papa chose you for me!' She said, surprising Arnav.

'You knew it too? I was the only one kept in dark then!'Arnav sulked.

'Why was that?' She enquired, curiosity piling up.

'I guess, Dadi wanted to disclose after I fall in love with you!' Arnav answered coolly.

'I am unable to understand!' She stated, completely involved in the conversation.

'When my mother left us, I used to follow my dad blindly. Irrespective of how irrational few things were! It was as if, I was protecting him and at the same time, trying to be him. I wanted him to have everything he wished for. He was suffering Khushi and I couldn't bear that. We all were in pain, but he was the most affected. We had him, but he had none who could understand him, Khushi!' His voice cracked.

'Arnav!' Khushi whispered, cursing herself for not being by his side at his weakest moment, and also for instigating him to remember the past.

Composing himself, he further continued, 'Even today when Dadi says that my dad wanted something, then I can turn the world upside down to make it happen! Though he is not there to witness it!' Pain laced his voice.

'But... but what does it have to do something with our marriage? And Dadi not confessing it to you?' Khushi questioned.

He replied, with a soft smile on his lips. 'That is because, Dadi wanted me to love you, wholeheartedly! Without any pressure or force from anyone!'

'Had they disclosed that Papa wanted me to marry you, I would have done without any further questions. But there would have been a lack of love. It's not that I married you after loving you, but things would have been different.'

'Arnav! Now you are complicating this! I am unable to understand anything!' She cried, scratching her head in confusion.

Laughing, he spoke, 'Simple Khushi! I am too dumb in these matters of love, to differentiate between true love and forced love! I would have felt that I accepted you because you were my dad's choice. I would have never believed to accept you by myself, irrespective of how much ever I love you!'