Chapter 3

Arnav's room, Shantivan

Aman was welcomed by an irritated Arnav, who was striding in his room, with anger and frustration. His friend was going through a lot, he knew.

'Arnav?' He called him to get his attention.

'Come in Aman.' Arnav invited and seated himself on the bed.

Aman sat on the recliner and asked sighing, 'Why are you doing this buddy?'

Arnav scrunched his eyebrows puzzled on what was Aman hinting at.

'The marriage.' Aman clarified.

Arnav sighed and replied, 'I have made myself clear Aman. If I am getting married, then it is for Dadi.'

'Marriage is not a joke Arnav. It involves two people. Especially a girl who comes with a lot of dreams and expectations.'

'You should have explained this to Dadi, Aman. Not me. I never wanted marriage, but today I am here agreeing, thanks for Dadi's persistence and emotional blackmailing.' Arnav scowled.

'Dadi is not wrong. Have you planned to spend all your life alone?'

'You know why I am denying marriage', Arnav retorted.

'I know and I also know that your fears are baseless. For god sake, come to senses Arnav. Every woman is not the same. True love still exists.' Aman tried to put some sense into him.

'Really? True love still exists? And you are saying this even after witnessing everything that has happened and still happening?' Arnav scoffed.

'Fine, if that is the case, why did you even agree to Dadi's request in the first place? Couldn't you just tell her everything and warn her strictly not to pester you anymore?' Aman enquired.

'I became weak looking at her condition. I just could not deny her. By the way, what do you really want? One minute you say that I should get married, and the next moment you say that I should have denied Dadi's request. Why are you so much confused? When I am accepting for whatever you guys want, why cant you just let me be?' Arnav demanded.

'Yes, I want you to get married, but not under the pressure. You must be ready to fullfill all the responsibilities towards the girl. And right now, your views on marriage scare me. By agreeing to Dadi's demands, you are spoiling a girl's life. Why dont you understand? You both wont be happy and it will be no less than hell for you. It is not some toy or a temporary thing Arnav. You must be willing to provide a life time commitment. How could you just say that you took this decision just because Dadi asked you?' Aman explained.

'I really dont want to talk about this Aman. But since you have asked, I can assure you that I will be fulfilling all my responsibilities, its just that I can never love her. Not just her, I can never love anyone. You know it better.' Arnav declared.

'Why are you hell bent on punishing yourselves?' Aman questioned.

'For Dadi', was the reply he got.

Aman, though knew that his friend wont run away from responsibilities, he could not see lives getting ruined. But he too was helpless. Arnav was an adamant human being and no power in the world could change him easily.

Hence to lighten up the heated argument they were having, he commented, 'Mark my words Arnav. Today you are saying that you can never love a person, but there will come a day when you will fall in love madly, deeply and that day you will come to me first to confess it.' Aman said smirking.

'In your dreams. Moreover, I have no chance to fall in love. I am getting married and you know very well that I can never betray a person.' Arnav reminded.