Chapter 38

Arnav and Khushi's relationship bloomed much more over the days as all the barriers had been crossed. They couldn't get enough of each other, and were very contended in their own bubble, though the miseries of lives around them lingered on their minds.

'So, ready to go?' Questioned Arnav, as he took his seat beside his wife, with Anjali facing towards them, as they got ready to fly to India in their private jet.

Khushi was happy to be able to finally reach home after her internship, whereas Anjali went through a myriad of emotions. There was fear regarding the further course of events, anxiety to meet with her husband, guilt on leaving her family stranded, and most importantly hurt that was about to unfold when the other members of her family knew about her condition.

***************************

Agra:

'Anjali?' Shyam was dumbstruck the moment he saw his wife. He inched closer to her, carefully and slowly, fearing it to be an illusion, and that the image of her would fade away once he neared her. He gradually raised his hand to touch her face, that was marred with tears, and engulfed her in a tight hug, promising to never let her go.

Anjali kept weeping on his shoulders, unburdening the pain she had been bearing, living away from her love. She was finally in solace in the arms of her husband that always managed to comfort her.

For a few minutes, there were no words exchanged, and the room was in absolute silence, barring their whimpers.

Khushi slowly entwined her fingers with Arnav's, who was shedding happy tears, at the reconciliation of two important people of his life. She passed him a small smile of assurance, before resting her head on his shoulders.

*************************

'Anjali, I am so sorry for letting you down!' Shyam wept, cupping Anjali's face and pressing his forehead against hers.

She nodded vigorously and replied, 'You never let me down, Shyam! You can never. It.. It was me... I let you down! And I am so sorry!'

'I still do not know what made you fall out of love with me, but...' Shyam was interrupted by Anjali, when she shut his mouth with her palm. 'I never fell out of love. You were, are and will be the love of my life. Never say that again!'

While Anjali corrected him, Shyam was confused at the information.

'But that letter..'

'It was all fake. It isn't true! I had no choice!' She sobbed, hugging him tight.

Shyam threw a quizzical look towards Arnav and Khushi who were the silent spectators of their conversation. Slowly, they made their way towards the couple who needed their support.

'What do you mean by choice? What happened?' Shyam grew anxious with the fallen faces of the trio.

Holding his hands into hers, Anjali spoke, 'When you had gone for the business trip, I consulted a doctor.' She gulped the ache in her throat.

'Regarding?' Shyam could not wait anymore for the things to clear out.

'Regarding a few symptoms I experienced. And... and I am suffering from a disease that is incurable, Shyam'. Tears cascaded down her cheeks as she narrated the truth.