Chapter 7

City Hospital, New Delhi

Khushi was fervently searching the corridors of the hospital wards to find that one person since morning. She had looked around all the places where he could possibly be and only one was left yet. Praying god to let him be present there, she peeked inside only to sigh in relief.

Rahul was injecting a patient with his back turned towards her. She quietly walked to cover the distance between them, her fingers fiddling with her duppatta.

Rahul turned around to find a nervous Khushi which was very unusual.

'Khushi?' He exclaimed in surprise.

'I am sorry Rahul. I should not have reacted so badly yesterday', Khushi apologised genuinely.

Rahul's hands instantaneously rose to his cheeks, and exclaimed, 'That was too harsh'.

'I am sorry! I should not have done that', she said with remorse.

'Thats ok. I guess I was there at the wrong time', he clarified.

'No hard feelings right?' Khushi again asked to be sure.

'Only if you agree to accompany me for a coffee', Rahul stated.

'I.. I cant Rahul. Please understand. Its better we stay as friends', she replied deciding to come clear with him.

'There is no chance?' He asked arching his eyebrow.

Khushi let out a deep sigh before replying, 'I know I am being hard but its just that I really dont feel anything between us. You are a good friend and I wish it stays that way'. She again met his eyes with apology and further continued, 'I hope you understand'.

Rahul, though disappointed, smiled a bit to assure her that it was okay. His gestures spread relief to Khushi, hence she left the place muttering a thanks in contentment.

Rahul stood watching his first love walk off rejecting him. First love is not to forget, but to cherish. Will he be able to really do it? Will he be able to see her going away from his life? Will he be okay if she marries someone else? None can answer these questions except his own heart that was wounded beyond repair. Only time could answer those questions.

*********************

Gupta Mansion:

'Mam, Mrs. Subadra Raizada has paid a visit. I have seated her in the living room', claimed one of the servants of Gupta Mansion to Garima.

'Mrs. Raizada? Why is she here at this time?' She questioned herself but nevertheless nodded and made her way to greet the person who was connected to her in the past.

'Maaji?' Garima exclaimed totally unexpecting her arrival.

Mrs. Subadra Raizada stood up to greet her back when Garima touched her feet to get her blessings.

'Khush raho!' She blessed and both the ladies took a seat on the couch. (Stay happy)

'I know you must be wondering what made me come here today', Subadra said to a clueless Garima.

Garima did not reply but kept quiet, an approval to continue further.

'Its time I fulfil the promise made by Aravind to Shashi. I have come to ask for Khushi's hand for my grandson', Subadra put forth her wish.

Garima's eyes widened with shock and surprise. Its not that she did not anticipate this day, but she had a second thought that this would ever happen as Shashi was no more!

'Maaji, I know this was ought to happen. But I am sorry I cant accept this. You know about Khushi. She is...' before Garima could complete, Subadra stopped her with anger surfacing her face.