Chapter 26

'Happy birthday Khushi!'

'Oh my god! I totally forgot!' She exclaimed still stupefied, but accepting the bouquet that had red, white and yellow roses. While white represented the peace they made in their arranged marriage, yellow was the symbol of friendship they were cherishing, while red did symbolise the evolving love between them, which unfortunately, they both have not realised yet.

He laughed at her perplexed state, and palming her cheek, he whispered, 'May you get all the happiness in this world!' His smile held the warmth that stretched her lips further.

'Thank you', she whispered, tearing up at his solicitude.

'Oh come on, Khushi. Aaj bhi rona zaruri hai kya?' He teased, wrapping an arm around her shoulder, while she rested her head on his chest. (Is it necessary to cry even today?)

'Yeh Khushi ke aasoon hain', she announced smiling.  (These are the tears of happiness)

'Aur iss Khushi mein aasoon acche nahin lagte', he spoke wiping her tears, and stretched her lips voluntarily by his thumb and index finger, for her to smile.  (And tears don't look good on Khushi)

Khushi's eyes shone with gratitude for the man who was trying his best to keep her away from grief. With the mention of grief, her eyes immediately teared again, sobs erupting from her, which left him bewildered.

'If... if it is my birthday, then it is.. it is her death anniversary', she whispered, her voice cracking at the mention of her mother, which Arnav was quick enough to understand.

He gently wrapped both his arms around her, while her sobs turned into cries, wetting his shirt. Patting her head, he hugged her tight which she reciprocated, guilt, agony and despair engulfing her.

'This day cannot remain the same anymore', she wept, burying her head deep in his chest, while he drew soothing circles on her back, providing the comfort she needed.

He did not purposefully want to push her into misery, but he felt it was time that she accepted and came along, as it was going to be the same every year. His eyes held the promise to support her in everything she was fighting against.

*******************

The next morning:

Arnav descended down the stairs to see his wife engrossed with making flower garlands, the forlorn look on her face, clearly depicting the clouds of darkness that suddenly seeped into her colourful life.

'Hey', he greeted, bringing her out of her reverie, which she acknowledged with a forced smile on her lips.

'Are you okay?'

She nodded her head, not meeting his eyes, which was a clear indication that she was lying. Though he understood her gesture, he did not want to ponder over it. Sometimes, people need their space to process the facts and emerge out without anyone's interference. He would intrude only when she did not show any signs of moving on. But that did not mean that he would refrain himself from advising her that could help her overcome the battle.

'Khushi, just a piece of advice', he started, gathering her hands into his, while she looked expectantly at him.

'I know that this day meant something different all these years. Things have changed drastically to you especially, this special day of your life. But, I want you to know that your mother would not be happy out there if her daughter is suffering. After all, she chose you, isn't it?' He tried to be as gentle and careful as possible while he voiced out, because her vulnerable self was prone to take things in either ways.