Chapter 29

'Bhai!' Arnav screamed, as he stormed into his brother's house and took the stairs, two at a time, fear and panic gripping his soul.

As he dashed into the room, he found his brother curled at one corner, weeping his heart out. Nearing him, he engulfed him in a tight hug, as Shyam's tears wet his shoulders.

'Bhai, please calm down!' Arnav consoled, though terror coursed through his veins.

As he felt him hugging back, Arnav's own tears streamed down his face uncontrollably, as his brother had never been so vulnerable in his life. Not even when their father passed away! The person who was his anchor and his confidant, was completely broken, beyond repair, and Arnav's heart clenched at the sight of a defeated man, whom he always envisioned to be the most powerful and sorted human being!

Shyam's breaths slowly gained their regular rhythm, as he detached himself from Arnav's tight grip.

'Bhai, what happened?' An anxious and restless Arnav could not hold back himself. He looked around the mess in the room and gauged the situation to be very grave.

'Anjali..', Shyam could not utter more as another bout of tears rolled down his eyes.

Terror engulfed Arnav as he gulped the lump of fear down his throat. 'Bhabhi.. is she alright?' His heart raced in its pace at the anticipation of the worst.

He saw Shyam nodding a clear No, while he struggled to mouth his next words. 'She left, Chote! She left me!' He whimpered, forwarding a letter. Arnav's trembling hands opened it to read the contents, only to resign in despair.

'Dear Shyam,
I am sorry if this is going to hurt, which I am sure will! Our relationship was beautiful and full of love until I realised that my love for you is growing weaker with each passing day. I tried my best but I am unable to love you anymore like I did in the past. I do not see a future with us being together. I have realised what and whom do I need and hence I am taking this step. I want to part with you, Shyam. But I do not have the courage to face you and confess. Please forgive me. I am doing the best for the both of us. If anyone is to be blamed, it is me. You are a gem of a person, but it is my bad luck that I am incapable of loving you. My sincere request is, kindly move on in your life and please do not search for me. Hope you will respect my request!

Anjali'

Arnav's worst fears came true! Without any further conversation, he embraced his brother hard, as the two vent out the pain their souls suffered.

Rubbing his back in soothing circles, Arnav tried to calm his brother, whilst his own mind dwelled in chaos. There was pain, agony, distress, disappointment in his face, which were overpowered by a strong emotion of anger. As much he tried to concentrate on his brother, his thoughts could not stop thinking about the betrayal of his Bhabhi. A little conflict arose within his heart and mind, where one refused to believe the truth while the other saw nothing but the truth!

Arnav finished narrating the most painful incident of his life to Khushi and Dhruv, while Shyam rested in his room.

'I tried finding her. I searched every corner of the country. All in vain', Arnav palmed his face in despair.

Khushi gulped the lump of pain formed in her throat as her heart ached for Shyam. But the sudden disappearance of Anjali created doubts in her mind. Nevertheless, she gazed at her husband, whose face reflected the pain he went through all these months. Snaking one arm around his biceps, while the other entwined his fingers, she let him lean over her shoulder, providing the solace he yearned for.