Chapter 31

One week later:

New York

It had been one week since Khushi had come to New York to pursue her internship. Though she initially rejected the offer owing to Dadi's deteriorating condition, her resolve broke after her conflict with Arnav that day! The words he uttered stung her heart and soul that mere thought of them brought tears in her eyes! The relationship that she reckoned to bloom beautifully, took a nasty turn with just few painful words from Arnav.

She still remembered the night she expressed her desire to leave to New York and the expressions on Arnav's face were worth watching.

Late at night, Arnav entered their room, only to find his wife packing her clothes.

'What is happening?' He queried, momentarily forgetting the situation they were dealing then.

Without any words exchanged, Khushi handed over him her ticket to New York silently and resumed with her packing.

A mixture of dejection, rage, fury and guilt marred Arnav's face which did not go unnoticed by her.

'But... You declined it!' He stated, stammering, confusion and worry etched in his tone.

'Now I would like to take it!' She asserted, her tone firm and determined. 'Moreover, you wanted the same, didn't you?' She questioned back arching her brows.

She saw him gulping the lump formed in his throat but stood unmoved. Her insides clenched with the impending partition, though it was for a month, considering the bitterness they had landed themselves into.

'You... you sure about this?' She heard him ask, still a slight hope flickering in the back of his mind that she would dismiss all this to be a prank! Alas! It wasn't that easy! Things had already gone out of his hands and he was solely responsible for it!

With a heavy heart, Arnav handed her the tickets back, gradually letting the truth sink in, his mind reeling into chaos. He wanted her to stay back, while the other part of his brain urged him to let her pursue her career.

'Jaana zaroori hai?' He queried again, as his heart refused to let her go. (Is it really necessary for you to go?)

'Why? You don't want me to go?' She questioned him back, giving her full attention to him, locking her eyes with his'.

'Wish I could stop you Khushi', he whispered hoarsely, audible enough for Khushi to hear.

'Why do you want to stop me, Arnav?' He heard her, reflecting the same pain he was going through!

Nodding his head negatively, he replied, 'I do not have an answer. But all I know is that, it won't be the same anymore without you!'

'Why? We were just bound by a contract between us, weren't we? Then what are you expecting to change with my absence here?' She howled.

'Damn the contract, Khushi!' Arnav roared, fisting his fingers, weakened by his helplessness at the situation. 'It doesn't matter!'

'Then what matters, huh?' Khushi screamed back, tears cascading down her eyes. 'I had momentarily forgotten the piece of paper we signed upon before binding into this relationship. But thank you for reminding me about its existence!' She affirmed, agony lacing her voice.